Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Transfer Opportunities: Any permanent Social Work Assistant 3 OR
Any person eligible for 70.1 transfer
Promotional Opportunities: Any person eligible for appointment from the civil service list
Provisional Appointment: In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who meet the minimum qualifications below may be qualified for a provisional appointment.
Minimum Qualifications: For qualified employees of NYS: On or before the date of the written test, you must have had one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as a Social Work Assistant 2, Social Work Assistant 2 (Spanish Language), or Social Work Assistant 2 (Manual Communications).
For all other qualified individuals: Either 1. a bachelor’s degree or higher in a human service area* and one year of permanent competitive 55-b/55-c service as a Social Work Assistant 2 or parenthetic;
Or 2. three years of permanent competitive 55-b/55-c service as a Social Work Assistant 2 or parenthetic.
*For the purpose of these examinations, degrees in the following human service areas are considered qualifying: the professional disciplines of art therapy, audiology, dance therapy, drama therapy, music therapy, nursing, nutrition, occupational therapy, physical therapy, psychology, social work, speech/language pathology, and therapeutic recreation. Also included are related academic disciplines associated with the study of: human behavior (e.g., gerontology, human services, sociology, speech communication); human skills development (e.g., counseling, education, human development); or any other study of services related to basic human care needs (e.g., community mental health, rehabilitation counseling).
For all other qualified individuals, on or before the date of the examination, candidates must have either:
A. a master’s degree in social work;
B. a bachelor’s degree in social work and one year of post-bachelor’s social work experience;
C. a bachelor’s degree or higher in a human service area and two years of post-bachelor’s social work experience.
Duties Description PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs a variety of social services for individuals
• Independently prepares written documents, letters and other communication
• Maintain individuals’ records
• Advocate for the needs of the individuals.
• Ensures that individuals legal and human rights are protected
• Interface with multiple agencies and team members
• Take action whenever problems of compliance with regulations occur
• Process individuals legal and court documents
• Ability to adhere to strict deadlines
• Initiate and maintain a variety of databases, reports, track logs, check sheets and files
related to but not limited to correspondence, legal activity, court proceedings, documents
• Communicate court notifications
• Other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit cover letter and résumé by January 23, 2019 to:
2445 State Route 30
Tupper Lake, NY 12986
Phone: (518) 359-4150
Fax: (518) 359-4161
Please reference the above EOA # 19-03 in all correspondence.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office at (518) 473-9689 or Email at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain information and RA forms.
• Position may be eligible for Loan Forgiveness via the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program:
• For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.