Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
50 Wolf Road
To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
If a viable eligible list does not exist, a provisional appointment may be made in accordance with Civil Service Law. Candidates who accept a provisional appointment must take the next competitive examination and be reachable on the resultant eligible list in order to be considered for permanent appointment to the position.
The minimum requirements for taking the Promotional examination are:
You must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had three months of permanent competitive or non-competitive service (including 55-b/55-c) as an Assistant Drill Rig Operator, Assistant Land Surveyor 1, Assistant Land Surveyor 2, Drafting Technician, Drill Rig Operator, Engineering Technician; Environmental Engineering Technician 1, Environmental Engineering Technician 2, Senior Engineering Technician, or Senior Engineering Technician (Soils). After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
The minimum requirements for taking the Open Competitive examination are:
Either 1. an associate’s degree in engineering, engineering technology, construction technology, architecture, or architectural technology;
Or 2. a certificate in computer-aided drafting* issued by a regionally accredited college or university AND one year of specialized experience on civil engineering projects;
Or 3. two years of drafting experience including at least one year of specialized drafting experience on civil engineering projects.
* Certificates from Trade or Technical Schools will be accepted only if they are institutions that are regionally accredited or recognized by the NYS Department of Education as following acceptable educational practices. To check if your certificate came from an educational institution accepted by NYS Department of Education, please visit the NYS Department of Education website at http://www.nysed.gov/heds/IRPSL1.html and if your school is listed, select it to see if a drafting program is also listed. Please Note: It is the drafting program that needs to be accepted, not just the school.
At the interview, candidates must be prepared to demonstrate how their backgrounds meet the duties for this position.
Candidate will work in one of the Design Bureau’s highway design squads. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Prepare CADD drawings for highway and bridge projects.
• Prepare presentation plans for public meetings and reports.
• Perform calculations and prepare tables for highway and bridge projects.
• Assist with the development of the engineer’s estimate.
• Assist in the gathering and compilation of site data for highway and bridge projects.
• Review plans prepared by the Design Section for compliance with CADD standards.
• Assist staff within the section with CADD related issues.
• Other assignments to address office needs.
Responsibilities may also include participating within the Incident Command System to support the Department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
“If you are employed by state government, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer.”
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.