Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
44 Holland Avenue
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Transfer: Candidates must have permanent competitive status in the posted title and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be eligible to transfer via Section 52.6 of Civil Service Law.
Promotional/Provisional: The Civil Service promotional examination for this title will be held on March 16, 2019. To be eligible for a provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as a Human Resources Specialist 2 (Labor Relations), grade 23; or Human Resources 2, grade 23 or Administrative Officer 1, grade 23 and must have taken this examination. Candidates who have not passed the examination or do not achieve a reachable score on the resulting eligible list may not be retained in these positions.
Prior Labor Relations or Human Resources experience. Prior exposure to the Collective Bargaining agreements including CSEA, PEF, NYSCOPBA and Council 82. Familiarity with Performance Evaluation, time and attendance, FMLA, and sick leave administration. Excellent computer skills, written and oral communication.
Duties Description PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) provides services to individuals with developmental disabilities in New York State.
The Employee Relations Office (ERO) represents the Agency in the administration of collective bargaining agreements with more than 20,000 state employees. ERO and the Labor Relations representatives administer the statewide disciplinary processes for OPWDD employees, including evaluating evidence, writing Notices of Discipline, and representing OPWDD at Arbitration. The LR representative answers and resolves grievances, provides support to human resources professionals and other managers, and may provide relevant training on topics such as performance evaluation, administering grievances, counseling and discipline. ERO is responsible for the administration of bargaining unit contract agreements with multiple public employee unions representing the Agency’s employees.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Employee Relations, the Human Resources Specialist 3, Labor Relations may be responsible for:
• Managing the Labor Relations operations of one or more regionally-located Developmental Disabilities Service Operations Offices (DDSOO) across the State,
• Administration of the entire discipline process for the assigned region,
• Conducting investigations into employee misconduct,
• Reviewing and analyzing investigative reports,
• Representing and advocating for OPWDD at disciplinary hearings and resolving disciplinary cases through settlement or binding arbitration,
• Providing support and advice to supervisors and Human Resources professionals,
• Working with union representatives to resolve workplace issues, including policy and contract interpretation,
• Acting as liaison with the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations on Grievance Arbitrations and PERB-related matters,
• Participating in Agency-level and labor management meetings and subcommittees.
Additional Comments Please note:
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded in dividual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
• OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
44 Holland Avenue