Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Preferred Qualifications:
• Admitted to the New York State Bar;
• Minimum of four years of experience practicing law;
• Exceptional organization and analytical skills;
• Ability to handle multiple matters under pressure and deadlines;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Superior interpersonal skills;
• Excellent judgment;
• Meticulous attention to detail and quality control; and
• Commitment to public service and the highest integrity.
Duties Description The New York State Gaming Commission seeks a highly skilled Assistant Counsel with exceptional leadership skills to provide legal advice to support the Gaming Commission’s mission. The Gaming Commission is the State’s regulatory body, with varied responsibilities over all forms of gaming conducted within the State, including operation of the $10 billion-per-year New York Lottery and regulation of commercial casinos, Indian casinos, video lottery gaming, interactive fantasy sports, charitable gaming, horse racing and pari-mutuel wagering in New York State. Reporting to the Associate Counsel, the Assistant Counsel will perform the following duties and tasks:
• Advise Commission staff on general legal issues, focusing on commercial gaming, charitable gaming, video lottery gaming and Indian gaming regulation;
• Advise Commission staff on other matters, including licensing, traditional Lottery operation, horse racing and pari-mutuel wagering, interactive fantasy sports and charitable gaming;
• Perform research and keep current on best practices worldwide for commercial gaming and Indian gaming regulation and enforcement;
• Represent the Commission in adjudicatory proceedings and litigation;
• Draft contracts and agreements;
• Develop and maintain appropriate applications and licensing forms;
• Draft, revise and analyze legislation, rules, regulations and policies;
• Prepare appropriate legal documents and review of all work to ensure technical accuracy, completeness and soundness of approach;
• Legal research and preparation of memoranda regarding topical issues for Commission consideration;
• Analyze and summarize cases and information pertinent to statutes, rules, regulations, policies and opinions relating to gaming, with an emphasis on commercial gaming operations;
• Maintain compliance with laws and regulations, including the State Administrative Procedure Act;
• Assist with Freedom of Information Law requests;
• Work with the New York State Office of the Attorney General, local District Attorneys and outside counsels on various issues, including, civil actions, criminal prosecutions, and trademarks and patents; and
• Assist in response to information subpoenas.
Additional Comments The Assistant Counsel serves at the pleasure of the Governor of the State of New York and shall be appointed pursuant to N.Y. Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law Section 104.
This position is an exempt, full-time position with an anticipated starting salary of up to $116,000, dependent upon qualifications, and an outstanding, comprehensive benefits package.
Appointments are contingent upon a satisfactory background check which will include a federal and state criminal fingerprint records review.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
New York State Gaming Commission, PO Box 7500
Notes on ApplyingEmail submissions are preferred.
Résumés will be evaluated to determine whether candidates will proceed to the interview phase of the process.
Interested qualified candidates must submit a résumé and letter of interest no later than July 31, 2019 by email or mail to the address listed above. Please include “Assistant Counsel” in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.