112 Dickson St.
Minimum Qualifications Four years of experience as an automotive or diesel mechanic responsible for the diagnosis of faulty vehicle and/or equipment operation and the performance of mechanical repairs covering several aspects of automotive and/or diesel systems. (On your application you must specify types of repair work performed and the kinds of vehicles on which you performed this work).
An Associate's degree in automotive or diesel repair technology.
Substitution: Education as detailed below may be substituted for a maximum of two years of experience.
1. Graduation from a technical or vocational program, such as B.O.C.E.S, in automotive or diesel technology or automotive or diesel repair technology may be substituted for one year of experience.
2. Graduation from a one-year post high school certificate program in automotive or diesel repair technology may be substituted for up to two years of experience.
Experience limited to airplane (aviation) mechanic (except for ground equipment); gas station attendant; the repair of motorcycles, motor boats, or small engines; installation or repair of transmissions, mufflers, brakes, or tires; new car preparation; auto body repair work; or management activities as the owner or supervisor of a repair shop or service station is NOT QUALIFYING.
Within one (1) year from appointment to a Service & Repair Mechanic (Motor Equipment) position, candidates must obtain a valid NYS Inspection Certification issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles; and also must obtain a valid New York State Class B Commercial Driver’s License with no air brake restriction.
Duties Description • Working knowledge of the practices and techniques of making a variety of mechanical and electrical repairs on gas and diesel powered automotive and other motor-driven equipment.
• Working knowledge of the operation of automotive equipment, and other motor-driven equipment.
• As assigned, working knowledge of the rules and regulations of the facility governing the activities of State wards under the supervision of Maintenance Supervisor 1 (Motor Equipment) or Residency supervision.
• Ability to make accurate diagnoses of mechanical or electrical problems for gas and/or diesel powered self-propelled and non-propelled automotive equipment.
• Ability to use the tools, equipment, and materials of the mechanical trade.
• Ability to understand and carry out written and verbal instructions.
• As assigned, ability to supervise and train others.
• Ability to read and interpret technical maintenance manuals, circuit diagrams and blueprints.
• Willingness and ability to work both scheduled and unscheduled overtime in support of Department operations*.
• Self-motivation to work productively with minimal supervision in accomplishing P.M. and repair tasks.
• As required, Service & Repair Mechanic (Motor Equipment) weld cut and braze a variety of materials using electric or oxyacetylene welding equipment.
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment physical prior to appointment and participate in substance abuse testing while in the position.
*Candidates must be able to report within a maximum of one hour of call up unless managers can demonstrate a clear operational need for less time.
Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the Department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest and a current resume no later than December 31, 2020 to:
Administrative Services Director
NYS Department of Transportation
4 Burnett Blvd.
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Administration, 4 Burnett Blvd