146 State Street
Minimum Qualifications Transfer opportunity for current NYS Employees who have one year of permanent or contingent permanent service as a Senior Attorney (Realty) OR have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
NOTE: Please be sure to include in your resume or cover letter the specific Civil Service title which qualifies you for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Candidates on the NYS Civil Service Legal Specialties Program examination list will be considered through the canvass process and need not apply.
Duties Description • Review and approve state land purchase agreements, made by various state agencies, as to form and manner of execution.
• Search title.
• Examine title to land to be acquired by the state under land purchase agreements, including title abstracts, real property tax searches, reports of physical inspection, land surveys and other muniments of title.
• Identify all relevant objections to title. Prepare formal reports and certifications of title, pursuant to statute, on behalf of the NYS Attorney General.
• Assist and advise land vendors, state agency attorneys and staff, and title abstractors in clearing title to land to be acquired by the state.
• Communicate effectively with land vendors, their attorneys, and other parties.
• Draft deeds, affidavits of title and other instruments and closing papers to facilitate state land acquisitions.
• Approve deeds and closing papers delivered to the state as to legal sufficiency and recordability.
• Close title to state land acquisitions and approve disbursement of state funds to land vendors.
• Review and approve letters patent and other instruments of land conveyances by the state.
• Prepare legal opinions regarding questions of law concerning state real property and eminent domain.
• Assist and advise assistant attorneys general in litigation concerning state land and the exercise of the power of eminent domain.
• Conduct legal research regarding all the above.
• Maintain written files demonstrating the review of title, the clearing of title and the closing of title, as well as other matters.
• Supervise legal assistants and review their work.
• Prepare work records and periodic status reports.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingEmail to email@example.com is the preferred method of submission. Please include #82757 in the subject line of your email. Please include a cover letter, current resume, and writing sample.