9005 Old River Road/1 Chimney Point Drive
Minimum Qualifications To be considered, candidates must have:
1. A Master’s or higher-level degree in a mental hygiene discipline, hospital, healthcare, public or business administration, human services, or other related field; AND
2. Nine (9) years of experience providing services to people diagnosed with mental illness, five (5) years of which must have been at a managerial level, including one (1) year in a high-level leadership position comparable to an executive staff level position in a psychiatric center, research institute, or developmental center;
3. Possession of a license to practice medicine in New York State with current registration or a New York State limited permit and licensure in another state or Canada; AND
4. Seven years (7) of experience providing services to people diagnosed with mental illness, two (2) years of which must have been at a managerial level, including one (1) year in a high-level leadership position comparable to an executive staff level position in a psychiatric center, research institute, or developmental center.
NOTE: Experience providing treatment, assessment, and management services to a forensic and/or sex offender population is preferred.
Additionally, all candidates must be eligible to participate in Federal health care programs (e.g., Medicaid). Individuals excluded from participation in these programs will not be considered.
Duties Description The Executive Director, Psychiatric Center serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the STARC and performs all the duties and functions prescribed in Section 7.21 of the New York State Mental Hygiene Law. Through general supervision and close collaboration with the facility’s Executive Cabinet, the Executive Director is responsible for the administrative leadership and strategic direction, implementation and evaluation of all clinical and non-clinical programs, activities and services needed to provide treatment to individuals served by the STARC. The Executive Director works closely with OMH’s Central Office Division of Forensic Services to ensure effective delivery of services.
Additional Comments The Office of Mental Health’s (OMH) Secure Treatment and Rehabilitation Center (STARC) is a new appointing authority/facility, which will provide residential, behavioral modification, vocational rehabilitation, and clinical treatment services to sex offenders requiring civil confinement under Article 10 of the Mental Hygiene Law. Located on the grounds of two (2) existing OMH facilities: Central New York Psychiatric Center (CNYPC) in Marcy and St. Lawrence Psychiatric Center (SLPC) in Ogdensburg, the STARC has a current residential bed capacity of 395: 303 beds at Marcy and 92 beds at Ogdensburg, with additional expansion capacity at Marcy.
Background Investigation and Fees:
All prospective employees will be fingerprinted and undergo a complete Criminal Background Check against New York State and federal criminal history records. Candidates will also be subject to a check against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs, and the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR) maintained by the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS). Candidates may be required to pay the fees associated with these background checks. Employment is contingent upon your complying with and satisfactorily meeting these background investigation requirements.
1. It is the candidate’s responsibility to clearly demonstrate how they meet minimum qualifications. Vague or ambiguous information will not be interpreted in the candidate’s favor.
2. In order to be hired and to maintain your employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists. If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists, you may be terminated from your employment.
3. Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Salaries are subject to approval, but non-psychiatrist Executive Directors at OMH facilities typically earn approximately $175,000.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
44 Holland Avenue
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates interested in employment at this location should submit a resume by November 6, 2020.
Ms. Katherine Bush
Human Resources Specialist 2
Attention: Executive Director – STARC
NYS Office of Mental Health
44 Holland Avenue
Albany, NY 12229
PHONE # (518) 474-1261
FAX # (518 ) 402-4086
Email submissions preferred
The Mission of the New York State Office of Mental Health is to promote the mental health of all New Yorkers, with a particular focus on providing hope and supporting recovery for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances. Applicants with lived mental health experience are encouraged to apply. The New York State Office of Mental Health is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.