2834 Rt. 17M, PO Box 158
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the current Civil Service eligible list for the title.
Be a permanent New York State employee eligible for lateral transfer; or in a comparable title and eligible for a Section 70.1 transfer.
Provisional Opportunity: In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who meet the following open competitive qualifications may be qualified for a provisional appointment:
If you are appointed provisionally, you must take the next scheduled Civil Service examination for this title and your score must be reachable on the resulting eligible list before you can be permanently appointed. If you do not pass the examination or achieve a reachable score, you may not be retained.
Minimum Qualifications: Candidates must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma, issued by an appropriate educational authority. You must also have one year of experience assisting with the filling of medical prescriptions under the direct supervision of a licensed Pharmacist.
Substitution: Pharmacy Technician Certification by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) or a certificate or diploma from a pharmacy technician training program accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists may be substituted for the required one year of experience.
1. Your high school diploma or equivalency diploma must have been awarded by a high school or educational institution recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If your high school diploma was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the NYS Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the independent verification of equivalency to the New York State Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S1KAC.
2. In some locations where a motor vehicle is used in the transport of medication, candidates must also possess a valid New York State driver’s license appropriate for the vehicle assigned.
3. Information on pharmacy technician certification can be obtained by contacting the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB), 2200 C Street, Suite 101, NW, Washington, DC 20037-2985, (800) 363 8012, www.ptcb.org .
4. Information on pharmacy technician programs accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists can be obtained by contacting them at 7272 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20814, (301) 657-3000, www.ashp.org .
5. IMPORTANT: As the processing fee is non-refundable, verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email conformation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.
6. Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
7. New York State residence is not required.
Duties Description Working under the direct and immediate supervision of a Pharmacist, a Pharmacy Aide assists in preparing medications for the Pharmacist to dispense and performs administrative tasks such as maintaining files; preparing reports and logs; managing product recalls; serving as a receptionist/office manager; maintaining an inventory of pharmaceutical supplies; assisting in preparing pharmaceutical orders; receiving pharmaceutical supplies; entering data in appropriate records; assisting in prepackaging prescriptions, the repackaging and delivery of drugs; and maintaining a clean, safe, and professional environment within the pharmacy.
NOTE: In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or federally-assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
Additional Comments Background Investigation/Justice Center Review:
Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC) which includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information, and may be required to pay any necessary fees. 3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees may be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
Additional Comments: This position is eligible for a Mid-Hudson Adjustment of $1,513.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
2834 Rt. 17M/PO Box 158
Notes on ApplyingPlease indicate the Title and Vacancy ID # of the position you are applying to in the subject line of your email or fax. Please complete the Office of Mental Health Employment Application and submit it along with your resume any other application materials.
The Mission of the New York State Office of Mental Health is to promote the mental health of all New Yorkers, with a particular focus on providing hope and supporting recovery for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances. Applicants with lived mental health experience are encouraged to apply. The New York State Office of Mental Health is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.