Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must be able to read, write, and communicate effectively with students and staff, follow written and spoken instructions, and relate to the students being supervised. Candidates must be in good health, good physical condition, and able to perform moderate to heavy lifting of children and participate in physical activities such as swimming.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
• Experience working with deaf students; and
• The ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Child Care Aide 1 (substitute) position in the New York State School for the Deaf. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Maintain the safety and well-being of students by escorting students to and from meals during morning and lunch times, monitor assigned exits during evacuation emergencies, bring children requiring medical attention to the health center, supervise and maintain control in all areas where children are gathered, and assist and chaperone students on off-campus activities;
• Utilize a total communication approach to language development in the presence of hearing-impaired individuals by using both sign language and voice;
• Perform daily check to ensure that each student has his/her hearing aid, cochlear implant, and/or glasses;
• Attend to students’ personal hygiene needs and the development of appropriate daily living skills;
• Assist students during mealtimes by providing supervision at each dining room entrance, checking assigned students at mealtime for appropriate behaviors, encouraging students to eat balanced meals, conversing with students during mealtimes, and helping to create a relaxed, family-type atmosphere; and
• Prevent child abuse and maltreatment by attending all staff training, carrying out responsibilities as a mandated reporter of child abuse and maltreatment, and under direction of a Child Care Aide 2, use approved techniques to manage students, and report to supervisors, as required, regarding occurrences giving rise to concerns involving children in care.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a temporary, on-call, hourly position. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Substitutes are notified by phone when services are needed. Every effort is made to give 24-hour prior notice.
APPLICATION: Applications are accepted on a continuous basis. Applicants will be contacted when a vacancy is available. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CCA 1 Sub - Rome) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Applications are accepted on a continuous basis. Applicants will be contacted when a vacancy is available. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CCA 1 Sub - Rome) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.