Minimum Qualifications • Valid NYS driver’s license as a term and condition of employment.
• Knowledge of invasive species identification and plant identification in general.
• Prior experience with manual removal of invasive plant species.
• Capable of working as a member of a team and following directions of project lead.
• Experience with mapping and GPS is preferred.
• Able to explain the concept of an invasive species and justify management needs.
• Strong communication skills and ability to interact with the public.
• Completed or pursuing a degree in natural resources, biology, environmental studies, recreation, or education.
• Reliable transportation to and from all the three parks listed as work location.
• Able and excited to work outside for 37.5 hours a week, potentially in inclement weather, and to spend the majority of the summer manually removing invasive plants.
Duties Description Stewardship Corps members are expected to work as a team under the Stewardship Corps Lead and the Stewardship Project Coordinator to perform daily field work activities. The Stewardship Corps forms a fundamental component of the Three Gorges Project being implemented by the OPRHP’s Environmental Field Team. The Three Gorges Project is a long-term restoration project targeting invasive plants within the gorge and riparian areas of Taughannock Falls, Buttermilk Falls, and Robert H. Treman State Parks. The Stewardship Corps will assist this project by performing manual invasive plant removals, surveys, educational outreach and other activities as assigned on State Park lands.
Stewardship Corps members can expect to work hard outdoors for the duration of employment. Corps members must work together effectively with friendly communication amongst themselves and the public at all times.
Work conditions include uneven terrain, heat, cold, and frequent exposure to poison ivy, thorns, ticks, wild parsnip, and biting insects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
• 80%: Manual removal, surveys, and mapping of invasive species
• 10%: Field data collection and entry
o Pre- and post-removal monitoring of invasive species infestations
o Outreach and education to park patrons
Additional Comments NUMBER OF POSITONS: 2
DURATION: Pending start date is May 24th, 2021 until August 13th, 2021
Two overnights will be required for training May 27th & TBD
WORK LOCATION: Taughannock Falls, Buttermilk Falls, and Robert H. Treman State Parks. Corps members should be located within commuting distance of all three parks and have reliable transportation to and from job sites. All Corps members will work in all three locations. Transportation and housing will not be provided.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease send a resume, cover letter, and three references to Chenga.Drury@parks.ny.gov no later than March 15th, 2021. Interviews and hiring will begin on March 16th, 2021. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible.