Minimum Qualifications Must currently be in the title or have previously held the title in the past; or have 1 year of service in a clerical title allocated to a Grade 6 and above (to enter as a Administrative Assistant Trainee). If you are unsure of your eligibility for this title, please contact SUNY Oneonta.
Duties Description Answers telephone and gives information to callers, takes messages, andtransfers calls to appropriate individuals.
• Greets visitors or callers and handles their inquiries; or directs them to the appropriate persons.
• Opens, reads, routes, and distributes incoming mail or other materials and answers routine inquiries.
• Tracks and coordinates assignments.
• Sets up and manages paper and electronic filing systems.
• Uses various information technology applications such as email, database, spreadsheets and word processing applications.
• Operates office equipment such as printers, scanners, and copiers; and arranges for repairs when equipment malfunctions.
• Creates, maintains, and enters information into spreadsheets and databases.
• Maintains scheduling and event calendars. Schedules and confirms appointments for clients, customers, or supervisors.
• Coordinates conferences, meetings, or special events, such as luncheons or graduation ceremonies. Makes travel arrangements for staff. Creates and/or submits travel expense reports for staff.
• Completes forms in accordance with agency procedures.
• Makes copies of various documents, places them in proper files, and distributes them to appropriate staff.
• Locates and attaches appropriate files to incoming correspondence requiring replies.
• Composes, types, and distributes meeting notes, correspondence, and reports.
• Provides services to customers, such as order placement or account information.
• Reviews work done by others to check for correct spelling and proper grammar,
ensures that office format policies are followed, and recommends revisions.
• Searches for information using various sources including the internet.
• Manages projects or contributes to committee or team work.
• Mails various items including letters, reports, and promotional materials; and prepares packages and arranges for them to be shipped.
• Orders and distributes supplies.
• Creates conference or event materials such as flyers or invitations.
• Establishes work procedures or schedules and keeps track of the daily work of clerical staff.
• May supervise other clerical staff and provide training and orientation to new staff.
• May take meeting minutes, and/or prepare material from dictation.
Additional Comments There are multiple vacancies at this location, in both academic and non academic departments. The salary listed is the starting salary for the Administrative Assistant 1 title. Individuals interested in/meeting the qualifications for the traineeship are encouraged to apply.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.