Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree and relevant accounting experience. Ten years of financial accounting experience.
• Familiarity with State Finance Law, the State Comptroller’s rules and regulations, methods of appropriation accounting, principles of bookkeeping and State Code of Accounts preferred.
• Supervisory experience is a plus.
• Forensic accounting experience is a plus.
• Significant experience in managing the day-to-day financial operations of an organization.
• Proven experience planning, organizing, coordinating, and implementing strategies and mandates.
• Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
• Ability to cultivate a positive team environment with experience working collaboratively, building relationships at all levels of an organization to achieve goals.
• Experience working with contracted vendors and providers a plus.
• Experience in program planning and monitoring, including budgeting and staffing.
• Ability to produce high-quality work product under tight deadlines.
• Ability to perform well in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
• Excellent listening, speaking, and writing skills.
• Familiarity with government agencies is a plus.
Duties Description The Director of Finance is a senior level position in the agency and possesses solid finance and accounting skills, preferably with prior experience in a NY state agency or public authority. The Director of Finance has a demonstrated ability to interact and work with individuals at all levels internally and externally. The Director Finance assists in planning and implementing long-range financial matters, agency-wide financial and administrative objectives, policies, programs, and practices, all of which ensure the agency’s sound financial structure. The Director of Finance maintains the integrity of funds and other valuable documents, financial systems, internal controls, and financial reporting. The Director of Finance supports all operational accounting efforts, including accounts payable, general ledger, and financial reporting, and reviews and analyzes reports for accuracy.
Specific duties include:
• Prepare the agency’s budgets, monitor expenditures, maintain fiscal and accounting records, evaluate program efficiencies and effectiveness, and prepare required forms and reports for submission to agency head, the Division of Budget and Office of the State Comptroller.
• Effectively audit and process payment vouchers and submit these vouchers to the Office of the State Comptroller in an accurate and timely manner.
• Provide oversight for all budget activities in assigned areas, including staffing, non-personal services costs, contractual arrangements, and funding of special projects.
• Review, monitor and approve spending requests.
• Post the required information from vouchers and invoices to internal computerized systems and keep detailed accounting records.
• Prepare periodic reports on status of funds and any other necessary reports.
• Review the agency’s monthly expenditure reports and required reports.
• Interface with the agency and finance staff to implement correct fiscal standards and procedures.
• Assist in long range cost projections and agency planning in accordance with fiscal policies.
• Confer with program directors and agency administrators to discuss budget proposals and justifications and to choose a fiscal plan considering various alternatives.
• Supervise 2-3 other members of the Finance team.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via e-mail at Info@goer.ny.gov