2834 Route 17M
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the current Civil Service eligible list;
Eligible to transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law;
Plant Utilities Assistant positions are filled through a continuous recruitment examination. Candidates interested in applying for the open competitive opportunity must complete the examination application NYS-APP-3 #20-450 & #20-451 Application Form/Supplemental Questionnaire at http://www.cs.ny.gov/announ/applications.cfm and submit it via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
OR mail to:
New York State Office of Mental Health
Facility Personnel Services
44 Holland Avenue
Albany, NY 12229
Candidates who meet the following open competitive qualifications may be qualified for a Temporary appointment until their examination is scored:
Either 1. Graduate of heating, HVAC, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration apprenticeship program from the U.S. Air Force;
Or 2. Must have been an enlisted machinery technician (MK) with the U.S. Coast Guard OR possession of a certificate as a Marine Engineer issued by the U.S. Coast Guard;
Or 3. Must have been an enlisted power generation equipment repairer with the U.S. Army;
Or 4. Must have been an enlisted gas turbine systems technician, submarine nuclear propulsion plant operator reactor control, utilities man, machinist mate, or engineman with the U.S. Navy;
Or 5. Must have a Merchant Mariner’s Document (MMD) and have been a qualified member of the engine department (QMED) as an oiler, fireman/water tender, refrigerating engineer or engineman with the U.S. Merchant Marine;
Or 6. Completion of a New York State Department of Labor registered apprenticeship program for stationary engineers, plant maintenance (plumber/steamfitter), HVAC Mechanic or plant maintenance (refrigeration/AC) (See Note #1);
Or 7. Possession of a High-Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer License or Stationary Engineer License;
Or 8. A bachelor’s degree in Facilities Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Marine Engineering;
Or 9. An associate’s degree in HVAC;
Or 10. One year of full-time hands on experience in the maintenance and operation of commercial, industrial, institutional facility, computer applications of digital energy platforms and building analytics and/or performing diagnosis, repair of HVAC systems or boilers or auxiliary equipment;
Or 11. One year of full-time hands on experience in a residential setting performing diagnosis, operation, maintenance repair of HVAC systems or boilers or auxiliary equipment;
Or 12. Completion of an HVAC certificate or diploma from a BOCES program (440 hours) OR completion of an approved certificate in HVAC, electrical, refrigeration, boiler operations and maintenance, or plumbing from an accredited technical school or technology college (See Note #2);
1. Applicants who have completed college-level, accredited military or industrial training should contact the Excelsior College, University of the State of New York, 7 Columbia Circle, Albany, NY 12203-5159, at (518) 464-8500, ext. 27 or visit their website at www.excelsior.edu for information about the Full Service Credit Bank service which can issue a college transcript, which this department will review for compliance with the minimum education requirement for this examination.
2. Your degree and/or college credit must have been awarded by a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If your degree was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the independent verification of equivalency to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S2ICC.
3. Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
4. New York State residence is not required.
Duties Description As a Plant Utilities Engineer 1 on an assigned shift, you would operate, maintain, troubleshoot, repair, test, and calibrate mechanical and electrical equipment providing heat, hot water, ventilation, air conditioning, and electrical distribution in a safe and efficient manner. You would make recommendations on major overhauls and replacement of equipment and identify, recommend and develop energy conservation projects. You may supervise subordinate staff in the operation and maintenance of heating facilities and mechanical equipment. You may also supervise contractors in an emergency or project situation and you may be required to assume responsibility for operations of the overall physical plant. Positions involve shift work within a 24-hour work schedule which includes night and holiday shifts.
Additional Comments Background Investigation Requirements:
Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC), that includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information and may be required to pay any necessary fees. 3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees may be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
1. Medicaid and Medicare: In some agencies, in order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
2. Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
3. New York State residence is not required.
This position is eligible for a Mid-Hudson Adjustment of $1,513.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
2834 Route 17M
Notes on ApplyingPlease indicate the Title, Vacancy ID # and Location of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email or fax. Please complete the Office of Mental Health Employment Application and submit it along with your other application materials via fax, mail or the Human Resources email address noted above.
The Mission of the New York State Office of Mental Health is to promote the mental health of all New Yorkers, with a focus on providing hope and supporting recovery for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances. Applicants with lived mental health experience are encouraged to apply. The Office of Mental Health embraces diversity and promotes a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. The New York State Office of Mental Health is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.