New York State Archives
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Archives and Records Management Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated salary grade 18 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Cultural Education is seeking candidates for an Archives and Records Management Specialist 2 position in the New York State Archives. This Office leads efforts, on behalf of all New Yorkers, to manage, preserve, ensure open access to, and promote the wide use of, records that support information needs and document the history, governments, events, and peoples of New York State. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Participate in researcher services activities, including providing assistance to researchers on-site, as well as by email or postal mail, and over the phone;
• Process records in paper, electronic and audio/visual formats using existing archival standards and practices for preserving original order, protecting the integrity of the records, and ensuring appropriate physical protection and collection of intellectual data;
• Assist in the digitization and metadata creation of hard-copy records and delivery of those records to researchers;
• Assist in the development of outreach tools including electronic publications, web content and social media content to facilitate researcher access to and use of the holdings of the state archives;
• Work with agency personnel and other archives staff to identify records of long-term value and to coordinate the transfer of archival records in digital formats to the State Archives for preservation;
• Provide assistance to other archival functions including accessioning, processing, appraisal, and retention scheduling of state government records;
• Deliver presentations and trainings to staff, the general public and special audiences on State Archives services and holdings and on specialized research topics; and
• Supervise and evaluate performance of technicians, support staff and student interns, as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday, from 9:00am to 5:00pm, with the possibility of rotating Saturdays, from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 23, 2021 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1227/26231) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 23, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1227/26231) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.