Minimum Qualifications Reachable on current Civil Service eligible list used for filling this title; one year of permanent, competitive class services as an Underwriter 1 Disability Benefits; or, one year of permanent competitive class service in a title eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Examples of eligible titles include, but are not limited to: Administrative Specialist 1, Assistant Insurance Fund Services Representative, Business Systems Analyst 1, Claims Services Representative 1, Claims Services Representative 1 Disability Benefits, Contract Management Specialist 1, Human Resources Specialist 1, Senior Administrative Analyst, Policyholder Services Representative 1, Program Aide, Underwriter 1.
Candidates with a score of 100 or higher on the current PCO eligible list who are eligible for appointment are encourage to apply. Please note your score of this exam in your cover letter.
Duties Description Under the general direction of an Underwriter 2 (Disability Benefits), performs professional underwriting activities over the life of a disability benefits policy including paid family leave benefits insurance. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Reviews insurance policy applications for subsequent approval or rejection
• Provides underwriting services for policies over the life of the policy
• Processes the application for coverage and bills the policyholder if the initial quote is accepted
• Processes retention and cancellation of policies
• Performs policy maintenance functions
• Reconciles policyholder reported premium by conducting a review and analysis of policyholder payroll data
• Establishes proficiency in understanding and communicating the fundamentals of disability benefits insurance
• Maintains a high level of customer service
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.