Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications Seven years of experience* in one or more of the following assignment areas with a national network, local network television affiliate, cable news, commercial media production facility, marketing communications agency or related operation. College study in a related field may be substituted for up to four years of experience with 30 credit hours equaling one year of experience.
A. Engineering or newsroom technology specialist, master control operator, media ingest operator, and/or media data center operator; OR
B. Production planner, production assistant, traffic coordinator, assistant account executive, or assignment editor; OR
C. News videographer, studio camera operator, art director, copywriter, graphic designer, video editor, producer, or web designer; OR
D. (preferred) Broadcast engineer, uplink engineer, maintenance engineer, or broadcast systems integration.
*The specific experience varies for each position under recruitment
Duties Description The event sound technician is responsible for the setup and operation of sound systems for live events as well as functioning as the leader of all event staging operations statewide. This requires a quick-thinking professional who can adapt quickly and confidently to changing needs. The ability to develop setup plans on-site is critical because some of the work is on short notice, allowing minimal time for front-end planning.
Duties for this position within Media Services Center (MSC) of the Office of General Services (OGS) will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Direct all event support operations statewide
• Assign staffing for individual teams to be dispatched
• Serve as hands-on board tech for live event sound
• Supervise staff for event setup technicians
• Operation of wireless microphone systems including spectrum scanning and frequency coordination
• Responsible for quality control of all audio feeds and PA sound in an environment with no fault tolerance
• Direct physical event setup of portable staging, pipe & drape and lighting
• Track equipment inventory, including identifying equipment needing repair or replacement
• Take direction from event staff and translate that into the action plan for the crew
• Extensive overnight travel required, sometimes on short notice
• Advanced troubleshooting abilities and a positive, problem-solving attitude
• Ability to multi-task while still performing at a high level in a stressful environment
• Knowledge of event lighting
• Basic knowledge of electrical systems; especially as they impact sound and lighting for events
• Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes evenings, Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
• Some travel will be required
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.