Minimum Qualifications Possession of a Bachelor’s degree or license to practice as a Registered Nurse in New York State; AND two years of experience* working in any of the following, or combination of the following: a New York State Office of Mental Health, Office for People With Developmental Disabilities, Office of Children and Family Services, Department of Health, State Education Department or Office of Addiction Services and Supports licensed or supervised facility covered under the jurisdiction of the NYS Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs; investigating complaints and allegations of abuse and neglect of persons receiving care from a facility or provider covered under the jurisdiction of the NYS Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs; a medical facility; a child protective services organization; or as a professional advocate or service provider in the field of rehabilitation, developmental disabilities, or mental health; OR a Master’s degree in a human services or health-related field may be substituted for one year of the required experience as described above for all titles.
Note: Experience obtained working in state agencies or programs outside of New York State that are similar or equivalent to the agencies listed above may be considered qualifying experience for all titles.
A qualified candidate should have the following skills/experience:
• Ability to take on multiple projects and manage multiple deadlines.
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Experience using Microsoft and Adobe products; experience with Microsoft Access databases is helpful.
• Strong communication and writing skills.
• Experience coordinating and managing meetings and trainings.
Duties Description The Quality Care Facility Review Specialist 1 will fill the role of Volunteer and Contractor Assistant with the Surrogate Decision-Making Committee (SDMC) to assist with various aspects of the administration of SDMC proceedings and the oversight and coordination of contractor and volunteer training and maintenance.
1. Assist with ongoing volunteer recruitment, training and maintenance:
• Maintain an updated volunteer database with current volunteer information and statuses.
• Enroll new volunteers per SDMC guidelines while verifying prospective volunteers meet SDMC eligibility criteria.
• Correspondence with new and existing volunteers as needed.
• Serve as a resource to contractors regarding volunteer support and need for training to strengthen volunteers understanding of the SDMC process.
• Work with Director, Volunteer and Contractor Manager, Contractors and SDMC Unit staff to recruit diverse and qualified volunteers to serve on SDMC panels for hearings conducted statewide and identify new and creative ways to reach new potential volunteers.
• Work with Director and Volunteer and Contractor Manager on the development and maintenance of training material that is current and reflective of all statutory obligations and SDMC regulations and assist with delivering training.
• Support volunteer development and functions in other areas as identified by unit Director and Volunteer and Contractor Manager.
2. Assist SDMC Contract Coordinator in providing hearing support and training to SDMC contractors in regions around the state.
• Review hearing documentation, monitor cases for scheduling at each office and answer questions from the contractors.
• Assist with the identification, creation, and maintenance of SDMC contractor training and guidance in compliance with SDMC regulations.
• Support contractor development and functions in other areas as identified by unit Director and Volunteer and Contractor Manager.
3. Assist Volunteer and Contractor Manager with administering proceedings, including hearings in the Sunmount region and conference calls in all regions.
• Schedule proceedings and distribute all necessary information. Coordinate with participants of proceedings, including SDMC panel members, care providers, Mental Hygiene Law Service and any other hearing participants.
• Administer hearings and conference calls in accordance with NYS statute and SDMC rules and regulations.
• Use database to update patient file with proceeding information, generate needed paperwork and detail outcomes from proceedings.
• Complete all post-proceeding documentation including, but not limited to, follow-up with appropriate participants, distribution of signed SDMC outcome, submission of proceeding recording and timely submission of post-proceeding documentation.
4. Support other unit functions:
• Assist with logging in new cases, follow up with providers regarding SDMC requests, and respond/direct SDMC inquires via phone, email and fax as needed.
• Assist with other unit functions as identified by unit Director and Volunteer and Contractor Manager.
Additional Comments The New York State Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs (Justice Center) is charged with protecting over one million New Yorkers under the care or jurisdiction of six state agencies. The following list outlines several of the Justice Center’s key responsibilities:
• Advocate on behalf of individuals with disabilities and provide oversight of quality of care.
• Operate a centralized, statewide 24-hour hotline and incident reporting system staffed by trained personnel.
• Operate a statewide register that contains the names of individuals found responsible for egregious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect.
• Centralize and perform functions relating to criminal history background checks.
• Investigate serious allegations of abuse and neglect.
• Prosecute criminal acts of abuse and neglect.
• Analyze abuse patterns and trends in order to prevent future occurrences.
NOTE: You are advised that should you accept a job offer with this agency, you may be required to be fingerprinted and pay for the cost of the fingerprinting fee.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume to firstname.lastname@example.org detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.