44 Hawley Street
Minimum Qualifications To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
Duties Description Under the direction and supervision of a licensed Professional Engineer, incumbents perform a
variety of duties depending on assignment. Engineer Trainees/Assistant Engineers are found
throughout DOT in a variety of programs.
When assigned to Design, typical duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Prepare 3D plans for highway and bridge projects using CADD;
• Assist with bridge inspections, structural evaluations and load ratings;
• Assist with the preparation of project reports (e.g., project scoping reports, design reports,
drainage reports), development of engineer’s estimates, project scheduling and gathering
and compilation of site data; and
• Develop notes and specifications for specialty work.
When assigned to Construction, typical duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Function as Chief Inspector or Engineer-in-Charge on Department construction projects;
• Ensure work performed by contractors meets contract specifications and engineering
standards and are performed safely;
• Review consultant and contractor plans and estimates; and
• Initiate design changes and orders-on-contract, complete daily work reports and prepare
final documents and record plans.
While the position is being filled for a specific program area, Engineer Trainees/Assistant
Engineers may be assigned to various program areas throughout their employment based on
operational need. Occasionally, incumbents may also be called upon to support department needs
in other locations. This effort could range from participating remotely to occasional travel as
necessary to support program operations, capital program delivery, emergency efforts, or other
critical department initiatives.
Specific duties will be discussed at the interview.
Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the
department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted
to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current
compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a
conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested
from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518)
474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
50 Wolf Rd