Minimum Qualifications Applicants must be physically able to perform medium to heavy physical labor, and able to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Prior carpet cleaning experience
- Prior restroom cleaning experience
- Prior hard floor cleaning experience
- Prior stripping and waxing experience
- Prior green cleaning experience
- Ability to perform medium to heavy physical labor
Duties Description A cleaner performs a variety of routine manual tasks requiring medium to heavy physical effort in cleaning and caring for an assigned area of the building including floor cleaning, carpet and hard floor surface care.
The duties for the position of cleaner will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Pick up and remove trash and other debris that may have been discarded on the floors, furniture and equipment and place them in designated receptacles or in appropriate places (5%)
• Use mops, brushes, detergents, buffers, floor scrubbers and other cleaning implements to clean floors, corridors, stairwells, walls, partitions and interior windows (25%)
• Use manual and/or mechanical equipment to strip, vacuum and wax floors and shampoo carpets (50%)
• Use hand operated equipment and detergent to scrub and clean all areas of lavatories, such as sinks, urinals, toilets, etc. (10%)
• Use hand-dusting equipment to dust assigned areas (5%)
• Use designated equipment to polish wood and metal fixtures (5%)
Additional Comments THIS IS NOT A REMOTE WORK POSITION.
There are currently no mandatory re-employment lists at this time. However, please note that if such a list is certified against this title prior to the completion of the selection process, candidates applying based on meeting the minimum qualifications or transferability under Civil Service Law can no longer be considered.
This is a part time position with the following work schedule: Monday through Friday 4:30 PM to 8:30 PM.
The work hours of this position are subject to change in accordance with Article 12 of the collective bargaining agreement.
Please note that resumes will not be accepted as a substitute, in whole or part, for a completed application. . In order to be considered for this position, you are required to complete a NYSTRS’ employment application. The link to the employment applications is below:
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.