Minimum Qualifications The selected candidate must be eligible for transfer under Civil Service Law or reachable on the appropriate eligible list for this title and location in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Law, Rules and Regulations.
Duties Description This position may be in-person, remote, or partially remote and partially in-person however this is subject to change.
The Business Tax Bureau is comprised of four tax programs, Corporation Tax, Sales Tax, Payroll Tax, and Miscellaneous Tax. Within each of our taxes we have program development units and operations units.
In BTB Program Development, under the supervision of a Taxpayer Services Specialist 3, the incumbent will supervise and provide technical assistance for the day-to-day activities in a unit whose function is to monitor, develop, test, and implement changes to tax processing and payment systems.
In BTB Operations, under the supervision of a Taxpayer Services Specialist 3, the incumbent will supervise and provide technical assistance in a unit whose function is to ensure the accuracy of return information and payment data reported by way of completing returns exceptions or addressing taxpayer protests.
Activities may include but are not limited to the following:?
• Supervise, plan, organize and adjust staff work assignments to avoid backlogs, meet deadlines, and monitor daily reports. Evaluate and monitor staff productivity, work performance and time and attendance using existing quality assurance procedures.
• Display a calm, courteous and reasonable manner under sometimes difficult and highly stressful circumstances.
• Identify improvement opportunities and work with supervisor(s) and employee(s) to develop and implement training to advance job skills and abilities.
• Effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with internal and external customers.
• Write performance evaluations and assist in counseling and disciplinary actions as necessary.
• Create written and verbal reports and presentations for management regarding the volume and productivity of unit work.
• Analyze computer and manual processing systems; develop plans for expedited resolution of return and payment data reported and recorded on departmental systems.
• Review tax form changes, system changes and policy directives to determine impact on operations and procedures, and report findings to unit management.
• Use information retrieved from various departmental systems and software to enter data, gather information, produce reports, access files and databases.
• Adhere to the Time and Attendance rules and regulations of the Department
• Gathers information from stakeholders to establish business rules; documents new and changed business rules and user requirements; performs analysis of requirements; and monitors system performance by reviewing reports to determine modifications/enhancements needed
Additional Comments The Department of Taxation and Finance (DTF) strives to provide New Yorkers with the highest level of service possible. To do so, it is of the utmost importance that we recruit and retain a high-quality, skilled, and diverse workforce. Nearly 18 million New Yorkers rely on our employees to accurately apportion funds for schools, roads, medical care, security services, conservation programs, and much, much more. We are committed to administering the state’s tax systems fairly, courteously, and cost effectively We believe the way to do this is to partner the skills, creativity, and ingenuity of our workforce with the best technologies available.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume including current title and how you qualify. Please reference the Division of OPS, the vacancy ID number, and the title of this position in your response to this posting.