Minimum Qualifications The selected candidate must be eligible for transfer under Civil Service Law or reachable on
the appropriate eligible list for this title and location in accordance with the provisions
of Civil Service Law, Rules and Regulations.
Duties Description This position may be in-person, or partially remote and partially in-person however this is subject to change.
A position exists at DTF for a Taxpayer Services Specialist 2 in the Returns Processing Center (RPC) Operational unit. This unit is responsible for the receipt and processing of paper returns and payments for multiple tax types. DTF administers more than 40 state and local taxes, including Personal Income Tax, Corporation Tax and Sales Tax. Although most returns are received electronically, over 1.5 million paper tax returns must be processed annually. Paper return processing involves various technologies including high speed document processing, remittance depositing, data entry, and exception work. Manual processes such as mail receipt, opening, sorting, and document preparation for scanning are also functions performed in the RPC. A variety of computer programs and applications are used based on the tax type and task to be completed.
A Taxpayer Services Specialist 2 in the RPC Operational unit will provide management and leadership of their team of staff and supervisors in completing these day-to-day activities with efficiency and accuracy. Staff development, initiative, and self-motivation is strongly encouraged.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Under the supervision of a Taxpayer Services Specialist 3, the incumbent will supervise and provide administrative and technical assistance for the day -to-day activities of a unit whose function is to perform high speed document processing, remittance depositing, data entry, electronic form insertion, and exception work for multiple taxes. Activities include but are not limited to the following:
• Supervise, plan, organize and adjust staff work assignments to avoid backlogs, meet deadlines, and monitor daily reports. Also, evaluate and monitor staff productivity, work performance and time and attendance using existing quality assurance procedures.
• Work with the Taxpayer Services Specialist 3 manager in coordinating and developing inventory management, staffing, quality review and other project plans and documents.
• Participate in the development and implementation of plans to monitor peak period processing activities to ensure production problems are identified and resolved in the necessary time frame.
• Act in a calm, courteous and reasonable manner under very difficult, highly stressful and at times confrontational circumstances.
• Identify areas of weakness and work with supervisor(s) and employee(s) to develop and implement improvement opportunities.
• Effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with internal and external customers.
• Write performance evaluations and assist in disciplinary actions as necessary for Tax Information Aides.
• Provide formal classroom, video, and on–the-job training to subordinate supervisors and staff.
• Evaluate and make oral and written reports and presentations to management regarding the volume and productivity of unit work.
• Analyze computer and manual processing systems; develop plans for expedited resolution of return and payment data reported and recorded on departmental systems.
• Provide supervisors and staff with assistance, guidance, and training in the methods, processes, policies, and procedures used to data capture and process the various types of return filings and payments of the Unit.
• Adhere to time and attendance policies of the department
Additional Comments The Department of Taxation and Finance (DTF) strives to provide New Yorkers with the highest level of service possible. To do so, it is of the utmost importance that we recruit and retain a high-quality, skilled, and diverse workforce. Nearly 18 million New Yorkers rely on our employees to accurately apportion funds for schools, roads, medical care, security services, conservation programs, and much, much more. We are committed to administering the state’s tax systems fairly, courteously, and cost effectively We believe the way to do this is to partner the skills, creativity, and ingenuity of our workforce with the best technologies available.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume including current title and how you qualify. Please reference the Division of OPS, the vacancy ID number, and the title of this position in your response to this posting.