Minimum Qualifications Current New York State employee with one year of permanent or contingent-permanent status as a Management Specialist 1, OR NYS employee with one year or more of permanent or contingent-permanent service in a title eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. The position may also be filled at the trainee level by appointment of a candidate reachable on the PATT or PCO list or in a title eligible for transfer to Management Specialist Trainee 1 or 2. If filled as a trainee, the selected candidate must successfully complete a two-year traineeship. Trainee 1 position starts at $42,986.
Duties Description Reporting to the First Deputy Medicaid Inspector General (First Deputy), the Management Specialist 1 is responsible for various administrative and professional program support duties with the office. Duties include, but are not limited to:
Provide administrative support and manage office activities:
- Provide customer service and manage the flow of communication within the office by greeting visitors, distributing mail, answering and/or directing phone calls, emails, and other written communications for the First Deputy.
- Develop and maintain electronic and paper file system for the First Deputy.
- Supervise support staff within the office: coordinate assignments and manage the flow of work; approve time off; prepare probation and performance evaluation reports; ensure adequate office and phone coverage during work hours. Liaise with the Division of Administration for additional support when appropriate.
- Create and maintain spreadsheets or other record-keeping systems and tools to support the First Deputy's daily operations or projects.
- Develop, document, and revise as necessary, procedures to streamline, track, and control workflow and activities.
- Coordinate travel for First Deputy and/or executive staff and assist in the completion of associated documentation.
- Coordinate calendar for First Deputy and/or executive staff, arrange and schedule meetings.
- Act in a backup capacity to the Executive Assistant supporting the Medicaid Inspector General (MIG).
Act as liaison between First Deputy MIG, executive team, and other OMIG staff. Provide professional project management support activities:
- Establish and maintain working relationships with executive team, administrative and regional liaisons within the agency.
- Refer questions to appropriate staff members. Track and monitor status of questions, responses, and dissemination of pertinent information to appropriate individuals.
- Review reports and materials prepared by OMIG staff for quality, completeness, and adherence to plans and schedules.
- As directed, perform research of available data and statistics, or reach out to program area representatives to obtain information. Draft, compile, or review various statistical and narrative reports and charts.
- Interact with stakeholders at all levels of the agency to monitor and/or coordinate activities and/or projects to ensure that projects progress, objectives and deadlines are met, and/or assist with tasks related to projects as assigned.
- Compile project and progress reports, keep First deputy apprised, prepare meeting agendas and minutes.
- Attend meetings and conferences as an agency representative, or to assist with administrative details.
- Work independently, utilize sound judgment, prioritize tasks, and support day-to-day office operations.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingSubmit resume to Dina Lutz, Office of the Medicaid Inspector General, 800 North Pearl Street, Albany, NY 12204, or by email to Dina.Lutz@omig.ny.gov with a subject line Management Specialist 1, or by fax to (518) 408-0395, no later than Tuesday, September 29, 2021.