Minimum Qualifications Interested candidates must be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service eligible list or currently an employee of New York State eligible to transfer under Section 70.1 or 70.4 of the Civil Service Law.
• When determining eligibility for transfer, Human Resource Management will confirm trainee level. Depending on qualifications, candidates may be required to serve a 2-year traineeship that leads to the journey level, grade 18 position.
• Advanced placements are done at the appointing agency’s discretion.
Transfer via 70.1
To be eligible for a 70.1 transfer to a Senior Accountant, SG-18, a candidate must:
Have one year of permanent, competitive service in a qualifying title, a bachelor’s degree and 24 credit hours in accounting/auditing courses.
To be eligible for a 70.1 transfer to an Accountant Trainee, NS, a candidate must:
Have one year of permanent, competitive service in a qualifying title, a bachelor’s degree including 24 credit hours in accounting and/or auditing courses.
Transfer via 70.4
To be eligible for a 70.4 transfer to the Senior Accountant, SG-18, a candidate must:
Have one year of permanent, competitive service in a position allocated to a grade 16 or higher AND meet the open competitive minimum qualifications of the position AND must be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service eligible list.
To be eligible for a 70.4 transfer to an Accountant Trainee, NS, a candidate must:
Have one year of permanent, competitive service in a position allocated to a grade 12 or higher AND meet the open competitive minimum qualifications of the position AND must be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service eligible list.
To be eligible to transfer from an Accountant Aide to an Accountant Trainee 1, a candidate must:
Have one year of permanent, competitive service an Accountant Aide and 24 credit hours in accounting and/or auditing courses.
To see if your title is eligible to transfer, please go to the GOT-IT website:
Duties Description Reporting to the Internal Auditor III, the incumbent will perform duties that include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Facilitate the proper collection, recording and distribution of Video Gaming, Horse Racing, Commercial Gaming, Indian Gaming, and Interactive Fantasy Sports program revenues.
• Ensure timely receipt of various reports and filings of Gaming Commission licensees.
• Conduct compliance reviews to ensure Licensees are adhering to applicable State laws, and Commission rules and regulations.
• Compile reports for various programs and projects as requested by management and outside agencies.
• Monitor and reconcile account balances of various funds and accounts.
• Create journal entries in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and ensure proper entry into software and the Statewide Financial System.
• Assist the Prize Payment Unit in researching disputed Video Gaming prize claims received.
• Review and authorize facility requests for access rights and patron information changes.
• Assist in the preparation and documentation of regulatory billings for reimbursement of expenditures for programs including Commercial Gaming, Indian Gaming, Interactive Fantasy Sports, the Agricultural and New York State Horse Breeding Development Fund, and the Thoroughbred Breeding and Development Fund.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel
• Adept and professional in verbal communications
• Ability to problem solve, multi-task, and manage multiple priorities
• Experience with double entry bookkeeping and accounting systems
• Knowledge of Article 34 of the NYS Tax Law, Racing, Pari-Mutuel Wagering and Breeding Law, and State Finance Law.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingEmail submissions are preferred. Senior Accountant or Accountant Trainee should be indicated in the subject line.
Please send your transcript, resume, and cover letter in Word or PDF format. We are unable to open documents from Google Docs, Google Drive, OneDrive and/or "the Cloud". Transcripts should clearly indicate the accounting and auditing credits that qualify for this position.
If applicable, please indicate your current Civil Service title and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
Your Social Security Number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
VAGUENESS OR OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.