Minimum Qualifications **Permanent/Provisional Appointment Available**
Permanent Qualifications: Candidates must currently be a permanent Training Specialist 1 Mental Hygiene OR be
reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list
Transfer Qualifications: Candidates must meet the requirements of transfer via Section 70.1 or section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Open Competitive: Bachelor’s degree in a human services field and two years of experience in developing and delivering classroom training involving the concepts and techniques of care for individuals with mental illness or developmental disabilities in a mental hygiene setting.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The Training Specialist 1 (MH) presents training programs to improve on-the-job knowledge skills and abilities of employees to better enable them to carry out the agency mission, including the care and treatment of vulnerable persons in the care and / or custody of the state. The TS1(MH) will develop and deliver training programs in our current environment, both in person and virtual classrooms.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Presents specific training courses in the agency’s training program
• Attain certification as a PROMOTE and First Aid/CPR AED Instructor
• Identifies and assesses specific training needs by reviewing agency programs and by discussing staff and program requirements with program managers
• Presents training courses in New Employee Orientation and annual required training by obtaining outside instructors or personally conducting course, and selecting audiovisual teaching aides
• Must be able to facilitate online learning courses, experience utilizing WebEx, TEAMS, or other distance learning platforms
• Evaluates training course using questionnaires, review of work reports or supervisory evaluation
• Disseminates training announcements and information concerning educational opportunities
• Informs program managers of available training and educational opportunities
• Assists program managers and supervisors in developing on-the-job training programs
• Reviews on-the job training programs with supervisors for relevance
• Support the Developmental Assistant 1 traineeship program and ongoing supervisory training
• Support direct care staff in the traineeship program
Additional Comments You must have a valid driver’s license to apply as travel is a part of the duties involved in this position. This may include a state-owned vehicle, as available, or the employee’s own car. An employee who uses his/her own car will be reimbursed at current negotiated rates.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates should submit a cover letter detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications and a current resume to the Taconic DDSOO Human Resources Office. Please provide your social security number for service certification and transfer eligibility determination process. Also, be sure to include the vacancy number on this announcement on your resume.
Taconic DDSO – Human Resources
25 Center Circle
Wassaic, New York 12592
Phone: 845-877-6821 ext. 3367
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office (518) 473-4785 or Email at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain information and RA forms.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
• In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• If you are employed by state government, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER