Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Senior Administrative Assistant or candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer under the provisions of Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Demonstrated ability to multitask and successfully manage priorities
Problem solver with attention to detail who can work independently
Knowledge of Office Management systems and procedures including accounts payable, program budgeting and expenditure reviews
Excellent time management skills
Ability to learn new software and procedures
Duties Description The NYS Canal Corporation’s (Canals) Office of Administrative Services is seeking a candidate for a Administrative Specialist 2 position. The New York State Canal System, includes the Erie, Champlain, Oswego and Cayuga-Seneca canals, linking the Hudson River with the Great Lakes, the Finger Lakes and Lake Champlain. Working with local, state and federal partners, Canals seeks to increase public access and use of the Canal System, add new and improved trail linkages and enhance tourism and economic revitalization opportunities along the 524 miles comprising the Canal system.
Under the direction of the Director of Business Services, the Enterprise Administrator collaborates with the Canal Corporation’s various Business Units as well as professional staff of the New York Power Authority and others to execute Canal daily business activities. Works in support of the management team members to communicate information to Canal Stakeholders and respond to any concerns.
This individual will perform a variety of assignments including, but not limited to the following:
• Serves as Finance lead for Canals including coordination of annual operating and capital budgets (preparing, managing, submitting, reporting);
• Manages Canals’ quarterly and annual reporting requirements for administrative programs as required by federal and state entities;
• Responsible for the development of administrative bulletins, including annual updates;
• Develop and administer policies and procedures program (governance, preparation, review, administration);
• Serves as point of contact and coordinator for Sustainability Program including annual Green NY reporting efforts;
• Serves as Liaison with Canal sections, offices and program areas;
• Reviews and approves office expenditures and purchases; liaises with shared service provider on credit card and travel card administration including the review of expenditures to ensure compliance with policies and procedures;
• Ensures the identification/charging of expenditures and purchases to accurately track spending for Projects, Program Budgets and Emergency Response activities;
• Works with shared services counterparts in Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Procurement to troubleshoot and resolve issues;
• Enables Managers and Program staff to accomplish the goals of the Corporation;
• Develops and updates administrative systems and process flows to improve efficiency;
• Coordinates FOIL requests on behalf of Business Services Unit;
• Administers reimbursement of expenditures in compliance with policy and contract provisions;
• Reviews and audits invoices and payment records for compliance with procurement procedures, policies and contract terms;
• Oversees facility matters including equipment and space utilization plan;
• Prepares reports on Office of Administrative Services activities;
• Coordinates administrative functions with other departments, and;
• Performs a variety of additional financial and administrative duties as assigned in support of Canal Administrative and Business Services.
Additional Comments Parking is provided to employees.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of October 4, 2021 to email@example.com. Please include the position title, Administrative Specialst 2 - Albany, in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.