Current New York State employee with one year or more permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Human Resources Specialist 2 (Labor Relations); OR current New York State employees with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent, or 55b/c service in a position allocated to a Grade 21 or above AND eligible for transfer under section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
NOTE: This vacancy posting is for the purposes of notifying individuals about transfer opportunities. Employees on the Civil Service eligible list will be considered and should not respond to this posting. If you are on the eligible list and not reachable, you may be eligible for transfer. You are encouraged to access GOT-IT on the Civil Service website (www.cs.ny.gov) to determine transfer eligibility or contact OGS Human Resources for your transfer options.
The incumbent will carry out the full range of employee relations and leave management activities for the Office of General Services and its hosted agencies. Duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assist in the implementation of negotiated contracts and advise management of relevant changes and operational impact.
• May supervise lower level professional and clerical staff involved in labor relations and leave management activities.
• Assist the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations staff in presenting the State’s case at improper practice hearings before the Public Employment Relations Board.
• Assist in the development and delivery of training programs for OGS and hosted agencies.
• Assist in the development of new or revised agency policy.
• Assist agency program managers and supervisors with the interpretation of OGS policy and procedures, negotiated agreements, and policies & procedures of outside agencies such as Civil Service, GOER, OSC.
• Consult with OGS Legal Services on criminal matters, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Division of Human Rights matters, Office of the State Inspector General referrals, employee disciplinary cases, FMLA law and regulations, and Employee Health Services (EHS) requests, as necessary.
Employee Relations Duties:
• Conduct agency level hearings on both contract and non-contract employee grievances.
• Conduct investigations/interrogations on employee disciplinary matters.
• Prepare and present OGS case theory and evidence at employee disciplinary arbitrations, to include witness preparation, testimony, opening & closing arguments.
• Assist in preparation of agenda items for and represent OGS at Labor/Management meetings.
• Assist in the negotiation and development of local Labor/Management agreements.
• Develop and maintain dialogue with union representatives on Labor Relations topics.
• Assist agency program managers in the implementation of employee counseling.
Leave Management Duties:
• Serve as the agency’s central point of contact for agency specific medical and discretionary leave management between OGS as an agency and the Business Services Center (BSC). May require similar responsibilities for OGS hosted agencies.
• Serve as the Medical Liaison between business units, employees and BSC Benefit and Time and Attendance Unit to ensure that medical documentation related to medical leaves is filed in accordance with OGS policies. May require similar responsibilities for OGS hosted agencies.
• Ensure that employee transactions are processed accurately and in accordance with Civil Service rules and applicable bargaining unit contracts.
• Oversee review and approval of FMLA, short and long-term disabilities, sick leave at half pay, and maternity/paternity.
• Provide guidance related to medical documentation in accordance with OGS rules and regulations.
• Draft and/or review all EHS requests.
• Oversee Civil Service Section 71/72/73 processes related to OGS employees. May require similar responsibilities for OGS hosted agencies.
• Review and provide information related to all discretionary leaves, including those that require Civil Service Commission approval.
Note: Travel will be required.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.