Minimum Qualifications Thirty (30) semester credit hours, including twelve (12) semester credit hours in forestry, which must include at least one course in three or more of the following areas: botany, dendrology, forest biology, forest ecology, forest ecosystem management, forest entomology, forest health, forest mensuration, forest pathology, forest protection, forest soils, general soils, geographic information systems, land surveying, and silviculture OR One (1) year of technical forestry experience in one (1) or more of the following areas: forest management, including sale and removal of timber products; nursery management, including the transplanting of tree or shrub seedlings; forest pest management, including control of diseases and insect pests.
Experience identifying and controlling invasive pests using manual and chemical control methods. Ability to identify HWA; experience identifying common tree species of New York and the pests that impact them; skill in using maps, GPS and GIS to assist in locating and recording survey sites; and experience creating GIS polygons using ArcMap or ArcGIS.
Duties Description DEC Division of Lands & Forests, Forest Health, has statewide invasive species control programs for giant hogweed, kudzu, southern pine beetle, hemlock woolly adelgid (HWA) and other target species. This position focus efforts on the HWA control program and assist in other programs based on the seasonality of treatment and program needs.
The position’s duties involve fieldwork throughout NY on both public and private lands; mapping infestations, collecting site information, surveying new current HWA infestations, and planning and implementing control of HWA and other target species. Appropriate safety equipment and safety training will be provided at the outset of employment.
Principal Duties Include:
• Locate specific survey and control sites using maps and GIS products.
• Plan and implement chemical control of HWA. Pesticide will be applied under the supervision of a certified commercial pesticide applicator using an appropriate backpack sprayer and nozzle to minimize non-target effects, according to the product label and manufacturer’s safety instructions. All necessary equipment will be provided.
• Survey and monitor for HWA.
• Survey and monitor for HWA biological control release.
• Monitor HWA treatment sites post treatment.
• Use equipment such as a compact tracked loader or a tracked aerial lift and power tools such as chainsaws or brush saws access and treat southern pine beetle and other target species.
• Conduct field surveys with the use of a hand-held GPS and mobile mapping unit and plot target species location polygons and records on digital maps.
• Acquire and inventory digital photographs of specific control sites to monitor yearly progress.
• Maintain detailed records of the control activities and site information for each site.
Additional Comments Must have a valid driver’s license or demonstrate the ability to meet the transportation needs of the position. Use of personal protection equipment, including a respirator, will be required. Must be able to negotiate difficult terrain, work in remote areas and in adverse weather conditions. Travel may be required. Must be able to lift and move objects up to 40 pounds. Must be a NYS Certified Category 9 Pesticide Technician/Applicator within 6 months of appointment. Must pass Game of Logging Levels 1 & 2 or equivalent within 6 months of appointment.
This is a temporary, hourly position funded through 3/31/22. Program needs and funding will determine actual termination date which may be prior to date indicated. Actual work schedule, duties and travel requirements may vary and will be discussed at the interview.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease email/mail your resume to the above. Be sure to include Posting #21-445 on your resume and also in the subject line of your email or it may not be accepted. You must submit a copy of your college transcript of qualifying courses with your resume. An unofficial copy is acceptable.