Office of Information Technology Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree AND six years of experience as an IT project architectural and technical lead. Three years of qualifying experience must have been at a supervisory level; OR one year of qualifying experience must have been at a managerial level. A master’s degree may substitute for one year of qualifying experience.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
• Three years of experience leading IT teams in programs and projects with significant IT modernization and organizational transformation goals;
• Three years of experience helping to develop, execute, and monitor project plans including scope, schedule, budget, resource, risk management, quality management, and communications plans;
• Two years of experience in vendor and contract management;
• Two years of experience in transforming functional and non-functional requirements into enterprise architectural and solution designs;
• Two years of experience in reviewing and recommending solution architectures and system designs;
• One year of experience managing an IT team and IT consultants;
• Experience with NYS procurement, including the development of procurement materials;
• Demonstrated ability to champion technical change; and
• Demonstrated ability to align architectural and technical project work with strategic IT technology goals in an effort to create actionable project tasks.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services is seeking candidates for a Project Coordinator position in the Office of Information Technology Services. Under the direction of the Project Director, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for budget, vendor, and technical team management and will serve as the head Information Technology (IT) architect and technical lead for the SAMS Modernization Program. The incumbent of this position will work with vendors, project staff, and NYSED ITS staff in the context of an agile development environment on multiple projects, utilizing current and emerging technologies, frameworks, and platforms to design a highly integrated architecture that has the resiliency, scalability, and extensibility to support current and future needs of the SAMS and NYSED. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assist in leading, participating and documenting in project requirements meetings;
• Serve in a leadership role to assist with NYSED’s ITS architecture governance process;
• Oversee vendor services that are conducting the analysis and design activities critical to the SAMS Modernization Project, including development and confirmation of the “as-is” analysis artifacts, development and confirmation of the future operational models and “to-be” artifacts, development of the future data and architectural models, and development of the roadmap, NPS costs, and staffing needs for implementation of those models;
• Provide architectural leadership to all projects within the SAMS Modernization Project, and assist to oversee and manage selected vendors during the implementation phase of the SAMS Modernization Project, mainframe migration and development of accompanying online services projects;
• Develop and maintain all IT architecture plans and diagrams for this program;
• Collaborate with the Project Director to develop efficient practices for timely payment in conformance with contractual and statutory requirements;
• Coordinate the work of IT staff across multiple project teams and ITS operational teams, including NYSED ITS Business Solutions and Technical Services teams;
• Develop and recommend efficient IT staffing levels consistent with workload, and assign IT project personnel accordingly.
• Supervise, train and evaluate subordinate project staff; and
• Comply with, and ensure staff compliance with NYSED, NYSED ITS and Information Security Office policies, standards, and procedures.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: These will be temporary appointments. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $132,732 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OMSJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-531/51884) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OMSJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-531/51884) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.