AgencyMilitary and Naval Affairs, Division of
Occupational CategoryOther Professional Careers
Bargaining UnitDMNA - Division of Military and Naval Affairs (CSEA)
Salary RangeFrom $49703 to $60371 Annually
Jurisdictional Class "Other" (generally Military Law positions)
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Street Address Francis S Gabreski Air National Guard Base
150 Old Riverhead Rd
Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Associate's degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university in a related field of study. As well as two (2) years of full-time experience in hazardous waste or solid waste disposal experience to include working with vendors or disposal contractors including manifesting. This experience must have included such duties as administration of various environmental programs, reporting as required and collection of environmental samples for laboratory analysis and waste determination. Candidate may be required to show documentation to support experience.*
As a condition of employment, current training documentation in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.120 is required. (If training has lapsed, it must be renewed at start of assignment – no later than 60 days from appointment).**
Must meet any and all New York State or Federal certification/license requirements – above and beyond the previously noted 29 CFR 1910.120 requirements – within nine (9) months of the date of appointment.**
Must be at least 18 years old and have a High School Diploma or GED.
Must be able to read and write in English.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Must possess a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York. Must report any changes to supervisory chain and State Human Resources (MNHS).
May be required to acquire and maintain a military driver’s license to operate military vehicles and equipment in accordance with NGB standards to include medical evaluation requirements – current and as amended.
Required to have or successfully complete within 90 days of receiving computer access, all training associated with assigned data systems such as SFS, GFEBS and the Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS) and/or other computer training as related to duty assignments. Should related regulations, procedures and requirements change, additional training and/or certifications may be required.
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have an appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed - dependent on current regulation, a SECRET clearance may be required.
*Other combinations of education and work experience combing to (4) years, including military, may be considered, however, candidate must demonstrate direct relevance to meet the job duties noted above. Certification requirements must be met.
**As a condition of employment, should regulations require additional training, certification, licensing or recertification in the future, employee is required to meet and maintain such additional requirements.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current , and as amended, agency, statutory and NGB requirements and directives; failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action, including possible termination.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Management for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Current Start Rate: $49,703
Job Rate: $60,371
In addition: Stewart ANGB receives a Mid- Hudson Adjustment of $1,513 annually
Under the direction of the Environmental Manager or other designated supervisor, the Environmental Specialist provides technical assistance requiring specialized training and experience. Incumbents monitor and assess base compliance in the management of hazardous waste, solid waste, recycling, pollution prevention and pesticide application programs ensuring procedural and operational alignment with all State and Federal statutes, rules, regulations and relevant Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs), including but not limited to 29 CFR (DOT Markings) and 40 CFR (EPA Standards). Assist supervisor with base environmental program administration and operations.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with all current and amended, DMNA policies and procedures, federal and state statutes, and where applicable, the contract bargaining agreement and requirements of the National Guard Bureau (NGB), specifically the Master Cooperative Agreement (MCA) and supporting regulations. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
• Administrator of the Base Central Accumulation Area (CAA) facility for on-base storage of hazardous waste (HW).
• Perform mandatory weekly CAA inspections, ensure deficiencies are corrected and maintains inspection logs to meet regulatory requirements.
• Coordinate with base personnel for waste deliveries and contractors for waste pick-ups at the CAA.
• Accurately maintain HW tracking logs for waste received at and disposed of from the CAA.
• Perform necessary tasks to maintain facility in a safe condition.
• Perform duties in support of the installations Storm Water Pollution Prevention (SWPP) and Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) Programs.
• Act as the alternate contact during Spill Response situations.
• Assist with the solid waste management program to include Universal Waste (UW), HW, used oil, recycling and Hazardous Material (HM).
• Participate and assist with the Hazardous Materials Management Program (HMMP).
• Provide training to base personnel as necessary regarding the base’s environmental program.
• Act as the base Integrated Pest Management Coordinator.
• Will complete and attend training as required.
• Periodic overtime may be required.
• Periodic travel will be required using various modes of transportation.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Working knowledge of Federal, State, and local environmental legislation, rules, and regulations.
• Knowledge of methods of handling and decontamination procedures with regard to hazardous and/or toxic materials.
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel.
• Ability to read and analyze technical environmental data and draw conclusions.
• Ability to interpret technical material including maps, charts and graphs.
• Ability to prepare written material in a clear and concise form.
• Ability to work independently or with other individuals in a project/team setting in accordance with supervisory guidance and direction.
• Ability to get along with and interact well with different groups of people, including co-workers, management, both Federal and State personnel and the public utilizing the facility.
• Ability to follow directions, ensure follow through and completion of assignments and seek assistance or report concerns when needed.
• Ability to train and present to others basic principles of environmental program and issues.
• Ability to read and write in English.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
In addition: Francis S. Gabreski ANGB receives a Downstate Adjustment of $3,026 annually
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address email@example.com
Street New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs - State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note your specific license or certification to meet requirements.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail. ENSURE TO COPY E-MAIL ADDRESS EXACTLY.
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
FAX to: (518) 786-4969
For Questions: (518) 786-4830
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
POSITION WILL BE POSTED UNTIL FILLED.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.
ALL CURRENT PERMANENT DMNA STATE EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE INTERVIEWED TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, ABILITY TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE DIVISION AND ABILITY TO PERFORM THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION. THE REQUIREMENT TO PROVE QUALIFICATION SHALL REST WITH THE EMPLOYEE.
ALL OTHER CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE IN RELATION TO THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION.