Office of School Governance, Policy, and Religious and Independent Schools
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must possess a bachelor's degree AND three years of professional experience in an educational agency or facility regulated under federal or New York State education laws, rules, or regulations performing one or more of the following activities: calculating financial support, reviewing criteria, authorizing payments, and auditing or reviewing fiscal transactions. A master’s degree may substitute for one year of specialized experience.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Higher Education is seeking candidates for two Project Assistant positions in the Office of School Governance, Policy, and Religious and Independent Schools. Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator, the incumbents of these positions will provide research and analytical support for the technical assistance provided to school districts in relation to the American Rescue Plan Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ARP-ESSER) Act. Project Assistants will develop expertise in education finance and efficiency research. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Work with local school districts on education funding mechanisms to ensure timely, accurate and efficient funding activities;
• Calculate and authorize financial support including aid formulas, grants distributions, and aid payment schedules to program offices and local agencies to ensure that the process of each agency area proceeds in a timely manner;
• Identify and monitor the status of high-risk spending and those areas that are not maximizing the use of federal funds;
• Collect statistical and financial data on ARP funded school activities and performance;
• Monitor flow of documents from the program offices and from local agencies;
• Develop and deliver tracing on federal documentation requirements and procedures;
• Coordinate reviews and analysis activities with other State and federal agencies;
• Review records for compliance with State and federal laws and regulations and prepare reports on performance and activities for State and federal control agencies;
• Provide technical assistance and training for program office staff on statute, regulations, policy and procedure, and the use of State and federal computer systems and software;
• Participate in school district business process reengineering and design;
• Supervise Project Assistants (SG-18); and
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a temporary appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $100,342 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-912/51557 & 51558) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-912/51557 & 51558) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.