TitleProfessional Engineer 1 (Civil/Transportation)
Occupational CategoryI.T. Engineering, Sciences
Salary RangeFrom $78699 to $110541 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Minimum Qualifications Either:
1. A New York State Professional Engineer’s license and current registration AND a qualifying bachelor’s degree or higher as listed below.*
Qualifying degrees: Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering, Construction Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering Management, Construction Engineering Management Technology, Geological Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulics Engineering, Materials Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Transportation Planning and Engineering, or Engineering Science with a recognized concentration in any of the above listed engineering degrees.
2. A New York State Professional Engineer’s license and current registration AND one year of full-time engineering experience with transportation projects related to highways/roadways, railroad, bridges, airports, waterways, building structures, or traffic management and safety systems.*
*Selected candidate will be required to take the Civil Service Professional Engineer 1 (Civil/Transportation) examination and obtain a reachable score on the resulting eligible list to be appointed permanently.
3. Current New York State employee with one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service law.
Duties Description The PE1 primarily serves as a liaison to two of the Thruway Authority's Division Construction Management offices. As liaison, the PE1 provides assistance and guidance to Divisions regarding administration of capital contracts, ensuring consistency across the Thruway System. Duties of the PE1 include but are not limited to the following:
Assist the Divisions in contract administration -
• Provide guidance in handling of additional work or change orders including developing Orders-on-Contract, Agreed Price Analysis, requests for changes to projects in construction, requests for additional funding and renegotiation of items due to overruns, underruns or changed conditions.
• Quality assurance reviews of Orders-on-Contract from the Divisions prior to submittal to OSC.
• Review and approval of Subcontractors.
• Assist with interpretation of the Standard Specifications and the TA Addendum.
• Provide guidance in handling of disputed work claims at the field and Division level.
• Attend project progress meeting via teleconference; review progress meeting minutes.
• Review and provide comments on contractors’ schedules.
• QA review of Extensions of Contract Completion Date, Final Acceptance and Value Engineering Contract Proposals.
Provide support to Engineering and other HQ groups -
• Serve on selection committees for Construction Inspection agreements.
• Review and provide constructability comments for Advanced Detail plans and PS&E plans.
• Review and provide comments on proposed specification changes.
• Provide input to the Chief Engineer and Director of Construction Management regarding contractor’s disputed work claims.
• Provide assistance to our Legal Department regarding claims on construction contracts.
• Final QA of contract record plans and files prior to archiving.
• Assist in preparation and presentation at Construction Forums for our Consultant inspection staff.
Additional Comments Telecommuting may be allowed with supervisory approval.
This position belongs to the CSEA bargaining unit.
EXCELLENT BENEFIT PACKAGE including:
Sick leave with sick leave incentive pay, thirteen paid holidays including five paid floating holidays. Free parking, Accrued Vacation, Sick & Personal Leave, Paid jury duty, Competitive health, prescription, dental & vision insurance. Excellent retirement plan, & optional Deferred Compensation plan, Flexible Spending Account and more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit a resume, NYS PE registration number and proof of qualifying bachelor's degree (if required) using the above contact information.