Office of Facilities and Business Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have Candidates must have Four years of full-time experience in the electrical trade under a skilled tradesperson which would provide training equivalent to that given in a training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program, or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of technical courses in the electrical trade at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services; OR successful completion of the two-year Trades Specialist (Electrician) traineeship or a two-year electrician training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program* such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship and Certificate Program.
*Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an
average of “C” or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services is seeking candidates for a Trades Specialist (Electrician) position in the Office of Facilities and Business Services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Repair, maintain and install electrical fixtures, systems and equipment, such as motors, transformers, wiring, switches, alarm systems, controls, access controls systems, security surveillance systems and related equipment;
• Locate and determine electrical malfunctions using standard test equipment;
• Repair mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic or electrical components of electrical equipment using standard tools and procedures;
• Test electrical equipment for safety and efficiency;
• Plan layouts and wire new installations;
• Install and terminate cable system, including coaxial, fiber optic and category 5 cables;
• Test, adjust, calibrate, and maintain a wide variety of electrical control equipment, including central heating plant controls, building heating, air conditioning and ventilating equipment, controls for refrigeration and for a variety of other equipment and systems; and
• Supervise staff, as needed.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent, non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of a valid New York State driver’s license will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess a valid New York State driver’s license at the time of hire. Continued employment as a Trades Specialist (Electrician) is dependent upon maintaining a valid New York State driver’s license. Failure to maintain a valid New York State driver’s license will result in removal from employment.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $56,324 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OMSJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-559/01057) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OMSJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-559/01057) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.