Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree* plus three years specialized experience in the administrative side of a professional arts organization or a non-profit arts organization, two of which must have been at a supervisory level.
*Substitutions: Four years of equivalent work experience may substitute for a bachelor’s degree. A master’s degree may substitute for one year of non-supervisory experience beyond the bachelor’s degree.
• At least three years of experience in finance, legal, audit or compliance function at a government agency, not-for-profit organization or organization primarily serving not-for-profit organizations.
• Experience with at least one major accounting system and/or with corporate and financial filings for New York State not-for-profit organizations, including the IRS Form 990 and NYS Charities Bureau filings.
• Highly organized with strong project management skills and ability to work optimally in a fast-paced setting with multiple deadlines and attention to detail.
• Familiarity with New York State government and not-for-profit settings and grants management procedures.
• A passion for learning and willingness to adopt and share new ideas as well as work directly on a diverse array of projects.
• Excellent communication skills, with the ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders.
• Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously, with a careful attention to detail.
• Simultaneous ability to work as a member of a team and to work independently, and the ability to function effectively under uncertainty.
Duties Description The Arts Program Associate specializing in Grants Management and Compliance will perform agency grants administration support as part of the agency operations team. This is a unique opportunity to hold a key role on the staff of New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA), an executive agency of New York State.
This position will be based at NYSCA’s offices in Manhattan. Duties will include:
• Support the grants management and compliance function of the agency in the workflow and administration of processes applicable to NSYCA grant applicants and grantees, including: fiscal review, contracting, payments, reports, Vendor Responsibility, Prequalification and grants reconciliation.
• Assist senior grants administration staff on agency policy and projects relating to grants management and compliance and agency communications to applicants and grantees across all agency grant programs and categories.
• Access, and support the leadership and administrative role with respect to, NYSCA’s use of the relevant cloud-based portals utilized for finance and compliance matters, including the State Financial System, the OSC Vendor Responsibility portal, the NYSCA application and reporting portals, and the New York State Grants Gateway.
• Increase knowledge on an ongoing basis of not-for-profit corporation fiscal requirements under applicable not-for-profit corporation laws, as well as best practices, and access and analyze public information, including from IRS Form 990, New York State Charities Bureau filings and other public databases.
• Prioritize among requests and other duties as needed in consultation with executive staff.
• Supervise or coordinate with temporary or Arts Team Associates for specific projects as needed in consultation with executive staff.
• Occasional travel for meetings or trainings will be required.
Additional Comments NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: COA Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to COA Telecommuting Pilot Program Guidelines.
NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies who are not subject to a mandatory vaccination requirement shall be tested for COVID-19 weekly unless they are fully vaccinated.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.