Office of College and University Evaluation
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree or higher AND six years of experience associated with the administration and/or oversight of education programs. At least two years of the required experience must have been in a position responsible for the administration and/or oversight of postsecondary education-related issues in a managerial capacity. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Director, College & University Evaluation when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
High level of proficiency with web-based/online systems; experience working on a college campus; experience with postsecondary education-related legal issues and regulations; excellent writing and editing skills.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Director, College & University Evaluation position in the Office of College and University Evaluation (OCUE). The Director is responsible for the overall operation of OCUE within the Office of Higher Education. This Office is responsible for the evaluation and review of applications from entities seeking authority to operate as institutions of higher education in NYS, as well as applications from NYS colleges and universities to register degree and certificate programs, to ensure that all degree-granting institutions and the programs they offer meet the quality standards established by the Board of Regents. The person will be responsible for the overall management of professional and support staff that work directly with the degree-granting colleges and universities, to ensure that the Regents’ standards are applied in a coordinated and consistent manner that is efficient and effective. Duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Manage the daily operations of OCUE, including internal processes related to personnel-, budget-, and customer service-related activities;
• Oversee and manage the applications of out-of-state institutions seeking approval to operate in New York State, as well as organizations in New York State seeking approval to become degree-granting institutions;
• Oversee and manage the phase-out of the institutional accreditation process (scheduled to end May 2023) for the degree-granting colleges that have chosen the Board of Regents as their accrediting agency;
• In partnership with NYSED’s Information Technology (IT) department, oversee OCUE’s responsibilities related to the analysis of the office’s current Inventory of Registered Programs (IRP), the development and implementation of a long-term solution for modernization of the IRP and the current process for communicating with institutions of higher education regarding program registration, and the development and implementation of a web-based solution for process improvement;
• Assist NYSED senior leadership in the review of legislative changes and advise them on the anticipated impact of these changes on NYSED and the degree-granting sectors;
• Writing, editing, and proposing regulation changes and new regulations to the Board of Regents and oversee the development and updating of policy guidelines, as needed, to ensure that the field remains current with NYSED regulations;
• Develop strong working relationships and communications with members of each of the degree-granting sectors in New York State and stay informed of changes to the field of corporate structure of degree-granting institutions, mergers, closures, as well as trends in the field of higher education related to enrollment, online education, distance education, etc.; and
• Supervise OCUE staff with responsibility for all duties involved with the evaluation and review of proposals from degree-granting institutions in New York State.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications and possess a current 55b/c eligibility letter. Appointment is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Director, College & University Evaluation when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $141,538 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-921/15041) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-921/15041) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.