Minimum Qualifications Six years of experience* in public relations, social media, and digital communications; experience in website management, social media management, product management, digital communications, or user experience design preferred.
An associate’s, bachelor’s, or master’s degree in Communications, English, Public Relations, Social Media, Digital Communications, or similar degree, can substitute for two, four, or five years of experience.
• Proven experience with distilling complex processes and transactions to facilitate online usability and comprehension.
• Knowledge of user experience (UX) and design thinking principles and methods, including wireframing websites or other online transactions for clarity and usability.
• Ability to write website content for varied audiences using plain language standards.
• Experienced in website content authoring and editing using a content management system.
• Proficiency in Google website analytics.
• Experienced in Adobe Creative Cloud applications including InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat Pro.
• Experienced in using social media applications for government communications, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
• Though not required, experience with Drupal and SharePoint is desirable.
• Though not required, bilingual candidates who meet the minimum qualifications are also encouraged to apply.
Duties Description The Public Information Specialist 1 (Digital Content) will join the New York State Digital Services team to assist in managing online communications. The Specialist must be a creative thinker with a continuous improvement mindset dedicated to optimizing the agency’s digital presence for the end user. The incumbent will work closely with a variety of OGS and other agency program management and policy makers to listen, gather requirements, and deliver content strategy solutions for agency websites, applications, and social media communications. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Consulting with program staff for all online communications needs, including new or revised web content, social media, and online documents and forms.
• Drafting and structuring website content in a clear and presentable way that enables website visitors to successfully interact with online content and complete critical tasks and transactions.
• Growing engagement and following across all social media channels; use storytelling to build narratives and communicate agency information; Manage and schedule social media posts.
• Monitoring of online information for accuracy and timeliness.
• Performing web edits on the agency’s website content management system.
• Assisting with facilitated user experience design activities, such as user research and user testing.
• Daily monitoring of Google Analytics and drafting analytics reports that provide valuable insights on website visitors and help shape and improve website content strategy.
• Creating accessible forms and documents for online use, including fillable PDFs or tagged instructions, guidelines or instructional manuals.
• Identifying and coordinating appropriate media needs for digital initiatives, including graphics, photography, and video in conjunction with functional teams.
• Occasional weekend and evening hours may be required.
Your cover letter, resume, or CV should include the following:
• A summary of websites you have managed and examples of pages or sets of pages you have structured and written.
• A list of content management systems and other software systems with which you have experience.
• A summary of social media channels you have used professionally and examples of posts or campaigns you have drafted and implemented.
• A summary of your experience with online document management and examples of documents you have written and designed.
Additional Comments NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: OGS Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to OGS Telecommuting Pilot Program Guidelines.
NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies who are not subject to a mandatory vaccination requirement shall be tested for COVID-19 weekly unless they are fully vaccinated.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.