Minimum Qualifications CURRENT STATE EMPLOYEES:
Current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service in a position allocated to a Grade 9 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
NOTE: This vacancy posting is for the purposes of notifying individuals about transfer opportunities. Employees reachable on the Civil Service eligible list will be considered and should not respond to this posting. If you are on the eligible list and not reachable, you may be eligible for transfer. You are encouraged to access GOT-IT on the Civil Service website (www.cs.ny.gov) to determine transfer eligibility or contact OGS Human Resources for your transfer options.
PROVISIONAL PENDING EXAMINATION:
Either 1. two years of full-time experience in a position where your primary responsibility is providing customer service in the form of explaining programs, policies, and/or procedures; resolving problems; or reconciling accounts;
2. one year of full-time business or human resources office experience in one or more of the following: accounts payable, accounts receivable and/or bookkeeping; processing payroll transactions; processing travel expense reports and/or reimbursements; processing personnel, benefits and/or time and attendance transactions; reviewing requisitions for purchase, and initiating and processing purchase orders.
3. 30 semester credit hours of college-level study AND one year of the experience stated in qualification #1; OR 30 semester credit hours of college-level study AND six months of the experience stated in qualification #2;
4. 60 semester credit hours of college-level study.
Applicants who are currently 55b/c eligible AND possess the minimum qualifications listed below under Open Competitive Provisional Pending Examination are encouraged to apply for this position.
*If applying under this section please note you will need to submit a copy of your valid 55b/c approval letter from Civil Service along with your resume.
Non-Qualifying Experience: Experience limited to positions such as cashier, supermarket clerk, department store clerk, greeter, retail clerk, forms processor, bartenders, wait staff, fast food worker, restaurant worker, hair stylist, receptionist, transferring calls or taking messages, data entry forms processing, taxi operator/driver, bus driver, mental health aide, direct care or home health aide, social worker, counselor, gas station attendant, officer, security guard.
Duties Description The incumbent of this position will work primarily in one of the Business Services Center Finance, Human Resources or Support service lines and will be cross trained to temporarily be reassigned to another service area depending on workload demands. All service lines operate in a customer service-oriented environment using lean tools. Duties typical of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Have a thorough knowledge of the policies and procedures that relate to the particular service line with the ability to apply them.
• Process service line specific transactions in accordance with standard work and the service line service level agreement.
• Act as a BSC Call Center Representative. Have a working knowledge of the BSC ticketing system.
• Conduct both written and telephone communications and prepare email correspondence to customers, vendors, program administrators and others regarding requesting information.
• Resolve difficult processing errors, identify processing system user needs and other more complex transactions.
• Analyze data and resolves complex auditing problems related to various NYS business practices, including various audit functions and related processes.
• May lead daily “huddles” assign work to lower level processing staff, as needed.
• Collaborate with supervisors and participate in all LEAN activities.
• Consistently provide quality customer service to all BSC customers.
Additional Comments The Business Services Center (BSC) was established in September 2012 to make Human Resources and Finance transaction processing consistent across New York State government agencies. Since its inception, the BSC has increased efficiencies and lowered costs across the state. The BSC supports advancement and frequently promotes their employees in consideration of their hard work and dedication to the Office of General Services-BSC core mission. If you are looking for growth opportunities in an agency that fosters individual staff development, we encourage you to apply to this position.
NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: OGS Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to OGS Telecommuting Pilot Program Guidelines.
NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies who are not subject to a mandatory vaccination requirement shall be tested for COVID-19 weekly unless they are fully vaccinated.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.