Minimum Qualifications Candidates for the entry-level position of forensic accountant/auditor must possess:
• A minimum of a four-year college degree, either specifically in finance, accounting, economics, computer science with data analysis, applied statistics, or equivalent post-college work experience;
• Excellent analytical, communication, and organizational skills;
• The ability to function as an integral part of an investigative team and work in a group setting;
• Knowledge of fundamental computer applications, such as Word, Excel and Access; and
• Proficiency with presentation software, such as PowerPoint.
Preferred skills for the position include:
• The ability to review financial records and advise or assist in the investigation of alleged fraud;
• Designation as a Certified Fraud Examiner;
• Experience with statistical sampling and/or advanced statistical training;
• Knowledge of the healthcare industry and medical coding concepts (CPT, ICD-9 / 10, DRGs) and/or experience analyzing health care claims data; and
• A CPA is not required for the position.
Duties Description The New York State Office of the Attorney General’s (OAG) Medicaid Fraud Control Unit is seeking a forensic accountant/auditor for its Long Island office in Hauppauge. The forensic accountant/auditor supports the Unit by working in partnership with its attorneys, detectives, data analysts, nurses, and legal support analysts to conduct complex, long-term healthcare fraud investigations. Utilizing the New York State Penal Law, the False Claims Act, Social Services Law §145-b, the Executive Law, and other New York laws, the Unit, supported by the work of its forensic accountants/auditors, brings civil actions and criminal proceedings to successfully prosecute individuals and companies who are responsible for improper or fraudulent Medicaid billing schemes. Many of the Unit’s investigations are conducted in coordination with other state, federal or local government and prosecutorial agencies, and have resulted in revenue generation through the large-scale recovery of taxpayer money.
Additionally, MFCU investigates reports of abuse and neglect at nursing homes and other health care facilities in New York. The importance of this work is highlighted in the OAG’s report investigating allegations of COVID-19-related neglect of nursing home residents across New York State.
Additional Comments The annual salary for this position is $60,669. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you may be required to provide regular negative COVID-19 PCR test results at a frequency determined by the agency. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Unit - 28 Liberty Street
Notes on ApplyingApplications are submitted online. To apply, please go to the OAG website, www.ag.ny.gov, then click on the “Resources” tab and select “Employment Opportunities,” Reference No. MFCU_FAA_HAU_6213
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter
? You may address to Legal Recruitment.
? Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you the best candidate.
• Writing Sample
• List of three (3) references
? Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
? Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
? Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
? Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov