Minimum Qualifications Employees transferring from various titles may need to provide transcripts showing they have earned 12 credit hours in either accounting, auditing, or tax, to be eligible for transfer.
This position may be filled as a two-year traineeship. Entrance into the traineeship requires either successful completion of an Associate’s Degree or higher with 60 credits hours; 12 of which must be in accounting, auditing and/or tax. Qualifying accounting/auditing courses must have the word accounting, auditing, or taxation in the course title. Unofficial transcripts may be requested and/or required to determine candidate eligibility. Or, two years of satisfactory full-time accounting or auditing experience, one year of which must have been in maintaining or auditing double-entry books of a business, including the general ledger, or in maintaining a governmental agency’s books, involving appropriation accounting and the preparation of budget and financial reports, or in the field auditing of such books.
Or, must be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service eligible list* for this title and location in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Law, Rules and Regulations.
In the event an eligible list for this title does not exist, or has less than three acceptors, an applicant possessing an Associate’s Degree, or higher, which includes 12 Accounting, Auditing and/or Tax Credits may be appointed on a provisional basis.
*Note: Provisional appointments are made pending an exam and will be revoked if the selected candidate is not immediately reachable on the eligible list resulting from the next holding of the exam.
Duties Description Under the supervision of a Tax Technician 2, the incumbent must be able to perform the following essential functions:
• Examine tax returns and associated forms and schedules during the course of a desk audit for accuracy of taxpayer data; compute any additional tax liability, interest or penalties due and any refunds due if applicable.
• Maintain proper case management to accurately complete a sufficient number of cases based on the complexity of the cases assigned. Prepare associated work papers, fact sheets and reports of findings.
• Develop and maintain a good working knowledge and practical application of tax law, regulations, audit guidelines, and Department procedures and policies, including Code of Conduct, Ethics practices, Internal Controls, Security and Confidentiality rules.
• Demonstrate effective communication skills, both orally and in writing, with taxpayers and their representatives; prepare professional correspondence, assessments and refund documents. Telephone contacts should be performed in a clear, tactful and professional manner.
• Communicate with supervisor and follow through on instructions received; inform supervisor of problems and collaborate with supervisor to resolve problems.
• Research court decisions, rulings, publications, and other reference materials to support decisions made in auditing taxpayer returns.
• Learn, maintain and update skills in computer technology; manipulate an alphanumeric keyboard to enter and retrieve data; use and navigate various software and mainframe applications.
• Develop and prepare reports, tax charts and reference materials as required.
• May be required to Advocate in cases at BCMS conferences and Small Claims Hearings. May participate at hearings as a witness for the Department and assist Office of Counsel in resolving disagreed cases.
• Adhere to all Department time and attendance rules and regulations
Additional Comments The Department of Taxation and Finance (DTF) strives to provide New Yorkers with the highest level of service possible. To do so, it is of the utmost importance that we recruit and retain a high-quality, skilled, and diverse workforce. Nearly 18 million New Yorkers rely on our employees to accurately apportion funds for schools, roads, medical care, security services, conservation programs, and much, much more. We are committed to administering the state’s tax systems fairly, courteously, and cost effectively We believe the way to do this is to partner the skills, creativity, and ingenuity of our workforce with the best technologies available.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume including current title and how you qualify. Please reference the Division of Audit, the vacancy ID number, and the title of this position in your response to this posting.