Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
One or more of the following:
• Four years of full-time experience in the electrical trade under a skilled tradesperson which would provide training equivalent to that given in a training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program, or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of technical courses in the electrical trade at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services;
• Successful completion of the two-year Trades Specialist (Electrician) traineeship or a two-year electrician training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program* such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship and Certificate Program.
* Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific class room instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of “C” or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
Candidates must detail their qualifications and submit appropriate documentation with their application. Candidates must be able to explain and demonstrate their skills and competency for this position.
• A valid NYS Drivers license; or otherwise be able to demonstrate that the transportation requirements of the job can be met.
• Lock-out/Tag-out training
• Experience with PLC’s, process control and/or trouble-shooting and repair of HVAC/fire control systems.
• Detect and identify written procedures, job related materials and transported materials.
Duties Description You will be responsible for completing the tasks listed below at a journey-level competency as an Electrician in Facilities Campus Operations:
• Testing electrical circuits to locate shorts, faulty connections and defective parts using test meters
• Planning, layout and installing conduit, wiring, fixtures, motors, HVAC Control and other electrical systems
• Installing control and distribution apparatus such as switches, relays and circuit breakers
• Properly using equipment, material and tools in a safe and professional manner
• Reading diagrams, blueprints, motor and generator diagrams
• Being proficient in the application of the National Electric Code
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who are valued for their talents and their impact on global society. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Departmental Operating Needs:
• The incumbent must have a journey level understanding of how to operate, maintain, troubleshoot, repair, test and calibrate electrical systems and equipment, including power distribution systems
• Must possess an understanding/knowledge of medium voltage power distribution systems or be willing to obtain training provided by employer
• Communicate well with other employees
• Possess and have demonstrated positive customer service skills
• Be able to understand and follow written and/or oral instructions
• Since the activities of other employees depend upon the availability of the employee in this position, reliable attendance is a factor that will be considered when filling this vacancy
• Appointees will be required to have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in NYS or otherwise demonstrate their capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job
• Experience with PLC’s, process control and/or trouble-shooting and repair of HVAC/fire control systems
• Candidate must be willing and able to participate in all pertinent electrical safety training provided to employees
Must be able to perform all the job functions listed within the position summary. Must have the ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, twist and work at elevated heights using ladders and scaffolds for extended periods of time
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.