Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
Meet one of the following criteria:
• Two years of full-time experience in maintenance or mechanical work under the supervision of a skilled tradesperson.
• Completion of an appropriate two- year technical school course at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services, such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership (NYS CSEA-P) Applied Skilled Trades Certificate Program*
• Or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of appropriate technical courses at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services
*Successful completion of the NYS CSEA-P Applied Skilled Trades Certificate Program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. It does not include 4,000 hours of on-the-job training, as required for the NYS CSEA-P Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship.
When required to operate motor vehicles, candidates must possess a valid New York State driver’s license appropriate for the type of vehicle to be operated.
• Certifications earned, completed relevant training, or other documentation that illustrates depth of knowledge in electrical and mechanical equipment
• Ability to understand control drawings
• Experience with Building Management systems
• Computer competency
• Ability to work in mechanical and confined spaces
• Appointees will be required to have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in NYS or otherwise demonstrate their capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job
Duties Description Position Summary:
The Facilities department at the University at Buffalo invites applicants to apply for our Maintenance Assistant position.
The incumbent must possess basic knowledge of electrical and mechanical equipment used in building automation systems (BAS) and demonstrate proficiency in the safe use of hand and power tools required to perform work tasks.
Key responsibilities include:
• Respond to daily service requests (work orders)
• Assist journey level trades to diagnose, troubleshoot and service building automation systems (BAS) and electrical/mechanical equipment of all types found on campus. These are mechanical, electrical and computerized equipment used to perform energy management and climate control.
• Use computer to document service work performed
• Assist journey level trades in the removal or installation of electrical/mechanical building control equipment and systems
• Assist journey level trades involved in all facets of small mechanical equipment and BCS projects
• Provide high level of customer service
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Departmental Operating Needs:
The incumbent must have an electrical and mechanical aptitude with a basic understanding of the concepts of building automation systems.
The successful candidate must:
• Detail their qualifications and submit appropriate documentation with their application
• Explain and demonstrate their skills and competency for this position
• Communicate well with other employees and customers
• Possess and have demonstrated positive customer service skills
• Understand and follow written and oral instructions
• Be willing and able to respond to after hour calls resulting from equipment and system failures that may arise at any time of day or any day of the week
The incumbent may be required to work during adverse weather conditions to ensure continuous operation of University electrical/mechanical BAS equipment.
Since the activities of other employees depend upon the availability of the employee in this position, reliable attendance is a factor that will be considered when filling this vacancy.
Must be physically able to perform all the duties of this position as outlined in the Position Summary. Bending, twisting, ability to lift 50 pounds, climb ladders, access equipment located on mezzanines, catwalks, basements and crawlspaces. Ability to work off ladders, scaffolding, in confined spaces and/or where air monitoring may be required. Work in loud/noisy dusty/dirty environments. Work with or around high-pressure steam, high-voltage electrical systems and rotating equipment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.