401 Turin Street
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must be able to read, write, and communicate effectively with students and staff, follow written and spoken instructions, and relate to students being supervised. Incumbents must be in good health, good physical condition, and be able to perform moderate to heavy lifting of children and participate in physical activities such as swimming.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Preference may be given to candidates who have:
• Experience working with deaf students; and
• The ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language.
Employees of the NYSSD who are currently in a Child Care Aide 1 position and are interested in switching to a different shift MUST apply as outlined in the Application section of this flyer. Open shifts will be filled by seniority based on availability.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates to fill a Child Care Aide 1 position in the New York State School for the Deaf. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Maintain the safety and well-being of students to and from morning meals, monitor assigned exits during evacuation emergencies, bring children requiring medical attention to the health center, supervise and maintain control in all areas where children are gathered, and assist and chaperone students on off-campus activities;
• Utilize a total communication approach to language development in the presence of deaf or hard of hearing individuals by using both sign language and voice at all times;
• Perform daily checks to ensure each student has his/her hearing aid, cochlear implant, and/or glasses;
• Attend to students’ personal hygiene needs and the development of appropriate daily living skills;
• Assist students during mealtimes by providing guidance on proper meal preparation, provide supervision at each dining room entrance, checking assigned students at mealtime for appropriate behaviors, encouraging students to eat balanced meals, conversing with students during mealtimes, and helping to create a relaxed, family-type atmosphere; and
• Prevent child abuse and maltreatment by attending all staff training, carrying out responsibilities as a mandated reporter of child abuse and maltreatment, and under direction of Child Care Aide 2, use approved techniques to manage students, and report to supervisors, as required, regarding occurrences giving rise to concerns involving children in care.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be permanent, non-competitive, 10-month appointment, with the potential of working during the summer school session. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. This position is for the third shift consisting of the hours of Monday – Thursday 10:00pm. – 8:00am.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $38,420 (46,103 pro-rated to 10 months) with annual performance advances, plus annual $460 Inconvenience Pay ($575 prorated at 4 days per week)
**Position will likely be filled on the shift listed. If current staff bid to change shifts, their current shift assignment will be backfilled. Third shift hours are Monday through Thursday, 10:00pm – 8:00am.
APPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ROM-360/00714) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ROM-360/00714) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.