Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Experience working in maintenance, grounds work or other labor intensive work environment.*
Experience working independently with minimal supervision as well as preferred experience working with a crew on maintenance or construction type projects.*
Required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
May be required to acquire and maintain a military driver’s license to operate military vehicles and equipment. (This is determined by work location and NGB standards).
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Must be able to read and write in English.
Must be able to operate and maintain tools, machinery and equipment required for craft to which assigned.
Must be able to push, pull, carry and/or lift objects of at least 50 pounds.
Must be able to work comfortably at heights such as climbing ladders, working on scaffolds, platforms and lifts.
Must be able to work outside in various temperatures and inclement weather for extended periods of time.
*Other combinations of related education or work experience may be considered.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Management for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Under the supervision of a higher level maintenance/custodial position or the Superintendent/Manager, Maintenance Helpers perform semiskilled and unskilled activities and tasks involving one or a combination of trades such as carpentry, mechanical, electrical, motor equipment or painting. Such tasks involve the use of the tools and equipment of a trade under very specific instructions. On occasion, incumbents may operate motor vehicles and power-driven equipment. The work may require light, medium and heavy physical effort in cleaning and caring for a building(s) and adjacent grounds area.
Duties and responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
• Maintains shop machinery and equipment.
• Performs general grounds maintenance tasks such as: clearing sites, mowing lawns, maintaining roads and sidewalks, snow and ice removal, collection/pick-up of trash and other obstructions from in and around the building and surrounding areas.
• Performs general facilities maintenance tasks such as: cleaning common areas, offices and restrooms, facility trash pick-up, painting, removing/placing furniture.
• Operates self-propelled and motorized equipment.
• Maintains automotive equipment and other machinery.
• Performs other job related duties as assigned.
• Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
• Ability to use the tools, machines, equipment and materials of the trade or trades to which assigned.
• Ability to work in confined spaces in accordance with requirements.
• Ability to follow directions, ensure follow through and completion of assignments and seek assistance or report concerns when needed.
• Ability to work independently or with other individuals in a project/team setting in accordance with supervisory guidance and direction.
• Ability to get along with and interact well with different groups of people, including co-workers, management, both Federal and State personnel and the public utilizing the facility.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note your specific license or certification to meet requirements.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail. ENSURE TO COPY E-MAIL ADDRESS EXACTLY.
E-mail to: email@example.com
FAX to: (518) 786-4969
For Questions: (518) 786-4830
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
POSITION WILL BE POSTED UNTIL FILLED.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.
APPLICANTS WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE IN RELATION TO THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION.