Albany: One Commerce Plaza
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications listed below in order to be eligible for appointment:
Non-Competitive: A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Cyber Security, Information Security, Information Systems, Information Technology, International or Public Affairs, Law, or Technology and required number of years of specialized experience (listed below) in the following:
• Establishing, managing or auditing cyber security and technical control programs with industry standard frameworks such as Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), SysAdmin, Audit, Network and Security (SANS), and International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
Financial Services Specialist 1 (Cyber Security), SG-18
Salary: $61,270 - $77,912
Bachelor’s Degree requirement as indicated above and two (2) years of specialized experience.
Financial Services Specialist 2 (Cyber Security), SG-23
Salary: $79,325 - $100,342
Bachelor’s Degree requirement as indicated above and three (3) years of specialized experience.
Financial Services Specialist 4 (Cyber Security), SG-27
Salary: $97,826 - $120,492
Bachelor’s Degree requirement as indicated above and five (5) years of specialized experience, and two (2) years of the experience must have been at a supervisory level.
A Master’s Degree in one (1) of the related fields or a J.D. may substitute for one (1) year of specialized experience. A Ph.D. in one (1) of the related fields may substitute for two (2) years of specialized experience
Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS): Certified Cyber Security Examiner
Industry Designations (these are specifically cited in the CSBS Cyber Security Examiner Certification):
• Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
• Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
• Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP)
• Certified Cyber Forensics Professional (CCFP)
• CSX Practitioner or CSX Specialist (CSXP,CSXS)
• Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
• Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
• Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT (CGEIT)
• Certified in Information Assurance (CIA)
• Sensitive Security Information, Certified (SSI)
• Certified in Cyber Warfare (CCW)
Duties Description The New York Department of Financial Services seeks to build an equitable, more transparent and resilient financial system that benefits New Yorkers and supports business. Through engagement, data-driven regulation, and operational excellence, DFS is responsible for empowering consumers and protecting them from financial harm; ensuring the health and stability of the financial entities we regulate; and driving economic growth through responsible innovation.
The Department of Financial Services is seeking applicants to fill multiple positions for various levels of Financial Services Specialists (Cyber Security) in the Cybersecurity Division. Under the direct supervision of higher level staff, the Financial Services Specialists (Cyber Security)’s duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Conducts full scope and target examinations in accordance with State and Federal Financial Institution Examination Council programs of Information Technology (IT) environments (i.e., systems management, electronic financial transactions, internet security, computer banking, etc.) at regulated institutions and technology service providers to ascertain safety and soundness of said environments and for compliance with the relevant laws and regulations such as, the Department’s first-in-the-nation Cybersecurity regulation, NYCRR Part 500;
• Determines adequacy of records, systems and controls governing virtual currency;
• Assesses the systems supporting back-office operations (i.e., systems for trading and investment activities and other financial and insurer functions), and the automated systems providing the middle office and front office with the position, limit and other reports necessary to manage risk;
• Assists in the pre-planning and scoping for targeted examinations of regulated virtual currency entities;
• Contributes to writing and/or manage writing the IT/Cybersecurity portion of overall examination reports or target examination reports;
• Prepares and delivers findings of such examinations to higher-level staff and Department management;
• Reviews the policies and procedures relative to IT effects upon virtual currency institution operations;
• Discusses IT examination findings with higher-level staff and/or the examiner-in-charge and participate in meetings with other Department and examinee staff;
• Conducts and participates in training or assist in structuring and preparation of training Department staff on examination issues;
• Researches new virtual currencies and perform pre- and post-implementation reviews;
• Higher level Financial Services Specialists (Cyber Security) may supervise lower level Financial Services Specialists (Cyber Security) by developing the examination plan, organizing and coordinating activities during the examination, and assigning and monitoring work of subordinate staff;
• Higher level Financial Services Specialists (Cyber Security) will assist in review and revision of examination policies and procedures, including first day letters, work programs, and other related materials;
• Higher level Financial Services Specialists (Cyber Security) will assist with overall management, supervision and guidance of business unit activities and staff; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Appointment to these positions is pending Governor Appointment’s Office approval.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than August 15, 2022 to the email address listed below. Please include the Box # (Box FSSPEC-CYBER) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Employment with New York State qualifies an individual for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This program forgives the remaining balance on any Direct Student Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time for a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization. To learn more about the program and whether you would qualify, please visit: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.