Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Open Competitive Minimum Qualifications (Open to the Public)
• You must have a High School Diploma, GED or a Direct Support Professional Certification from an accredited public or private organization and a valid Driver’s License.
• If you are not on the current eligible list for DSA, please complete and mail a NYS-APP#4, 20-149 (http://www.cs.ny.gov/extdocs/pdf/20-149&20-150.pdf) to the DDSOO(s) that you are interested in working at. The Human Resources Staff at the DDSOO(s) you are interested in employment at will contact you with information related to this job opportunity.
Or for Transfer Opportunity
• Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Direct Support Assistant and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be in a title deemed appropriate for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. To qualify for Section 70.1 transfer, you must have one year of permanent service in a title approved for transfer by the Department of Civil Service.
Duties Description PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Office for People With Developmental Disabilities priority is the health and safety of the statewide 128,000 individuals with developmental disabilities receiving agency’s support. As a Direct Support Assistant, you would help individuals with developmental disabilities lead richer lives. Under supervision these positions will;
• Provide supports and services which involve advocating for.
• Encourage, guide and teach individuals in expressing personal choice.
• Ensure community integration.
• Assist individuals with personal hygiene care, toileting, dining, dressing, meal preparation, lifts and transfers.
• Help individuals to participate in games and recreational programs.
• Coach and encourage individuals to develop daily living skills.
• Provide a clean safe and comfortable environment.
• Work with other staff to carry out and record care plans.
• Administer medication in accordance with special instructions.
To learn more about what direct professionals do on the job every day, go to; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnK4z3KAqtE
Additional Comments Please note:
• Please note, the posted Hiring Salary includes the sum of the statutory hiring rate for ISU Grade 9 ($37,507), along with any special salary treatments in effect for this position in this location, such as a Downstate Adjustment ($3,026). The posted maximum salary (Job Rate) includes the previously mentioned Downstate Adjustment.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office at (518) 473-4785 or Email at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain information and RA forms.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
As of 10/12/2021 all OPWDD employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.