Minimum Qualifications Non-Competitive: bachelor’s degree in the natural sciences and two years of post-degree professional research experience in an appropriate field.
Substitutions: master’s degree in an appropriate field may substitute for one year of experience.
Strong familiarity with clinical laboratory testing, methods and techniques preferred. Strong analytical and organizational skills, with a high level of resourcefulness and independence. Ability to handle a large volume of applications with a very short turn-around time.
Duties Description The Clinical Laboratory Evaluation Program is mandated to oversee clinical laboratories and blood banks. Directors of these regulated entities are required to obtain a Certificate of Qualification (CQ), as determined by Public Health Law. As part of the CQ application process, assessment of the experience of the applicant in current scientific methods is made. A research scientist is needed to make determinations on incoming applications, amendments, and renewals for CQ. The inability to properly manage the CQ certificate process will impact access to needed clinical testing since new clinical laboratory permits cannot be issued without a CQ holder in the lab.
Additional Comments Dependent upon the initial assignment or subsequent reassignment of this position satisfactory background checks may be required. Additionally, exposure to potentially hazardous substances may be involved with this position; the selected candidate may be required to wear personal protective clothing and equipment, and may undergo pre-employment and/or periodic health evaluations and receive specific immunizations.
"Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA
• Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually for M/C
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more.. "
For more information on the NYS Department of Health’s Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Plan, please visit: https://health.ny.gov/commissioner/index.htm
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit your resume and cover letter, preferably in PDF format, by email to email@example.com, with Reference NMH/RS1/14344 included in the subject line or by mail to Human Resources Management Group, NMH/RS1/14344, Rm 2217, Corning Tower Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237-0012, or by fax to (518) 473-3395. Failure to include the required information may result in your resume not being considered for this position. Resumes will be accepted until August 19, 2022