137 Glenmore Road
Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Applicants must be physically able to perform moderate to heavy physical labor.
Work experience in maintenance, grounds work, construction, or other labor intensive work environment is preferred.
Experience working independently with minimal supervision as well as preferred experience working with a crew on maintenance or construction type projects.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Must be able to read and write in English.
Must possess a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York. Must report any changes to supervisory chain and State Human Resources (MNHS).
May be required to acquire and maintain a military driver’s license to operate military vehicles and equipment in accordance with NGB standards to include medical evaluation requirements – current and as amended.
Ability to work comfortably at heights such as climbing ladders, working on scaffolds, platforms and lifts.
Ability to push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects and equipment (50+ lbs).
Ability to work in confined spaces in accordance with requirements and training.
Ability to work outside in various temperatures and inclement weather for extended periods of time.
Must be able to operate and maintain tools, machinery and equipment required for craft to which assigned.
Required to have or successfully complete within 90 days of receiving computer access, all training associated with assigned data systems such as SFS, GFEBS and the Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS) and/or other computer training as related to duty assignments. Should related regulations, procedures and requirements change, additional training and/or certifications may be required.
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have an appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed - dependent on current regulation, a SECRET clearance may be required.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current, and as amended, agency, statutory and NGB requirements and directives; failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action, including possible termination.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Management for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Under the supervision of a higher level maintenance/custodial position or the Superintendent/Manager, Facilities Operations Assistant 1 perform various custodial and facilities maintenance responsibilities. They often are assigned to tasks and/or provide assistance with activities typical of a variety of trade specialties such as in the areas of carpentry, mechanical, electrical, motor equipment or painting. Such tasks involve the use of the tools and equipment of a trade under very specific instructions. On occasion, incumbents may operate motor vehicles and power-driven equipment. The work may require light, medium and heavy physical effort in cleaning and caring for a building(s) and adjacent grounds area. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel. Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with DMNA and labor agreement policies and procedures, and where applicable, requirements and standards of the National Guard Bureau (NGB) – current and as amended. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
• Perform general grounds maintenance tasks such as clearing sites, mowing lawns, cutting brush and wood, trimming and removing trees and shrubs, maintaining roads and sidewalks, snow and ice removal, collection/pick-up of trash and other obstructions from the building and surrounding areas.
• Perform general facilities maintenance such as cleaning common areas, offices and restrooms, painting and moving furniture.
• Maintains automotive equipment and other machinery.
• Will perform various maintenance duties to ensure the overall facility operations are maintained to meet health and safety standards.
• When applicable, the individual will assist with maintenance requirements for the Nonmilitary Use Program.
• Will have limited utilization of computers for basic record keeping such as timesheets, work orders, calendaring, data entry, etc.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
• Will complete and attend training as required.
• Periodic overtime may be required
• Periodic travel may be required to other facilities; to attend training; or other requirements related to duties as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
• Ability to use the tools, machines, equipment and materials of the trade or trades to which assigned in a safe, effective and efficient manner.
• Ability to work comfortably at heights such as climbing ladders, working on scaffolds, platforms and lifts.
• Ability to push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects and equipment (50+ lbs).
• Ability to work in confined spaces in accordance with requirements.
• Ability to work outside in various temperatures and inclement weather for extended periods of time.
• Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel.
• Ability to operate a motor vehicle, other motorized equipment and a variety of light mechanized construction equipment.
• Ability to work independently or with other individuals in a project/team setting in accordance with supervisory guidance and direction.
• Ability to get along with and interact well with different groups of people, including co-workers, management, both Federal and State personnel and the public utilizing the facility.
• Ability to perform routine repairs and maintenance on equipment and facility structures.
• Basic computer skills and knowledge in the use of Microsoft programs (MS Word, Excel and Outlook). May be required to learn the Statewide Financial System (SFS) and other database systems.
• Ability to read and write in English.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying.
Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note your specific license or certification to meet requirements.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail. ENSURE TO COPY E-MAIL ADDRESS EXACTLY.
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
FAX to: (518) 786-4969
For Questions: (518) 786-4830
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
POSITION WILL BE POSTED UNTIL FILLED.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.
ALL CURRENT PERMANENT DMNA STATE EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE INTERVIEWED TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, ABILITY TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE DIVISION AND ABILITY TO PERFORM THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION. THE REQUIREMENT TO PROVE QUALIFICATION SHALL REST WITH THE EMPLOYEE.
ALL OTHER CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE IN RELATION TO THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION.