Deputy Commissioner’s Office
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Public Information Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the following titles: Associate in Engineering Research Editor.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Cultural Education (OCE) is seeking candidates for a Public Information Specialist 2 position in the Deputy Commissioner’s Office. This position will report directly to the Deputy Commissioner of Cultural Education and working closely with the State Education Department’s Office of Communications, the Public Information Specialist 2 will serve as OCE’s manager of media relations and marketing. This position requires outstanding oral and written communication and interpersonal skills. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Manage, plan, and implement marketing and public relations efforts for OCE;
• Serve as a liaison between OCE and the State Education Department’s Office of Communication;
• Work with senior management in OCE and the Office of Communications to draft strategic and timely responses to media inquiries;
• Work with OCE management and the Office of Communications to strategize internal and external communications, including writing and editing public announcements, press releases, media advisories, video scripts, website text, social media posts, and internal announcements;
• Proofread and edit documents submitted by program area staff to ensure accuracy and conformity to Department standards and policy;
• Manage and create social media content for the State Museum’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts; assist with writing content for State Education Commissioner’s social media accounts;
• Draft correspondence, talking points, presentations and speeches related to OCE programs and services for senior staff, including for the Deputy Commissioner, the State Education Commissioner, and members of the Board of Regents;
• Write and design the State Museum’s monthly email newsletter;
• Work with the information technology and digital media teams to ensure OCE’s websites accurately and effectively promote its programs, collections, exhibitions, and research;
• Provide guidance and advice to program area staff regarding public presentations and community outreach;
• Manage and supervise video filming and recordings conducted by outside organizations, including the media, at the Cultural Education Center to ensure appropriate policies are followed and that OCE is accurately portrayed; and
• Guide program area staff in public relations techniques and interacting effectively with news media.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $100,342 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by August 15, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OCE-1221/26213) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by August 15, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OCE-1221/26213) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.