Minimum Qualifications Applicants must be physically able to perform the tasks of the position and able to understand and carry out written or oral instructions. When required to operate motor vehicles, incumbents must possess a valid New York State driver’s license appropriate for the type of vehicle being operated.
Candidates are required to provide specific, verifiable information about their qualifying experience with a detailed resume. This information should be on the letterhead of the employer under whom the qualifying experience was gained and include names and titles of supervisors, duties performed during the training period and specific dates of employment and be signed by that employer.
• Candidates qualifying through the completion of appropriate course work should include a copy of their transcript or listing of course work completed.
• Copy of a trade’s union card is acceptable documentary proof of qualification.
• Candidates who do not submit appropriate documentary proof that they meet the minimum qualifications will not be considered for appointment.
Per Agreement between the Civil Service Employees Association, Inc. and the State of New York, Article 45 (c) the requirement to prove qualification shall rest with the employee.
Duties Description Duties include but are not limited to the following:
• Perform a variety of routine manual labor services related to the operation and maintenance of the Empire State Plaza and Convention Center, Harriman Campus, Harlem State Office Building, and other OGS managed facilities.
• Provide manual labor support for year-round “At the Plaza” events including concerts, festivals, ice-rink operations, etc. Locations include the concourse, plaza, and other sites as needed. Set-up includes but is not limited to tables, chairs, tents, weights, table-skirting, pipe and drape, signage, etc.
• Set up meeting and event spaces at the ESP Convention Center and at other OGS managed facilities. Facilities are set according to the layout provided. Change orders are frequently required and must be accommodated when feasible. Set up furnishings include tables, chairs, skirting, and other required equipment.
• Assist with moving equipment and supplies in and out of the facility and/or assigned storage areas. Items included may range from boxes of brochures to delicate works of art as well as large, cumbersome displays and sets. Operate stage lift as necessary.
• Provide excellent customer service by interfacing with clients and ensuring room and equipment arrangements are in line with their needs. Report any change order requests to appropriate staff.
• Oversee loading dock area. Ensure the area is clean, safe, and accessible.
• Perform routine maintenance and cleaning duties.
• Provide evening and weekend labor support as needed; perform miscellaneous tasks as required. Remain visible and accessible; work with all Convention & Cultural Events (CCE) and Office of General Services (OGS) staff members to ensure the smooth execution of all events.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes evenings, weekends, and holidays.
• Some travel will be required.
• Overtime will be mandatory.
• Able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
• Able to work at heights using ladders, scaffolding, platform lifts, boom lifts, etc.
• Possess and maintain a valid New York State driver’s license.
• Strong customer service skills are preferred.
Shift: Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Must be available to work events on nights and weekends.
Additional Comments NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: OGS employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to the agency’s Telecommuting Program Guidelines.
NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies who are fully vaccinated are to provide proof of this upon hire. At this time all unvaccinated employees do not need to submit weekly testing for COVID-19. Please note the weekly testing requirement may change at any time.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.