Duties Description The De Novo Unit Lead Counsel perform the following functions, including but not limited to:
• Responsible for high level case review and analysis.
• Training of new de novo reviewers.
• Review and analyze agency Final Determinations and Orders.
• Review appeals challenging substantiated reports of abuse or neglect to determine whether a preponderance of the evidence supports Justice Center determinations.
• Review evidence associated with case determinations and any defenses asserted in the appeal request.
• Draft File Memoranda in support of agency determinations.
• Draft File Memoranda recommending un-substantiation of agency determinations and present same for review.
• Input and review all relevant case information in the Justice Center’s Vulnerable Persons Central Registry (VPCR).
• Represent the agency at meetings with external stakeholders; lead internal and external trainings/presentations.
• Participate in work groups or special project teams, as directed.
Additional Comments The New York State Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs (Justice Center) is charged with protecting over one million New Yorkers under the care or jurisdiction of six state agencies. The following list outlines several of the Justice Center’s key responsibilities:
• Advocate on behalf of individuals with disabilities and provide oversight of quality of care.
• Operate a centralized, statewide 24-hour hotline and incident reporting system staffed by trained personnel.
• Operate a statewide register that contains the names of individuals found responsible for egregious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect.
• Centralize and perform functions relating to criminal history background checks.
• Investigate serious allegations of abuse and neglect.
• Prosecute criminal acts of abuse and neglect.
• Analyze abuse patterns and trends in order to prevent future occurrences.
NOTE: You are advised that should you accept a job offer with this agency, you may be required to be fingerprinted and pay for the cost of the fingerprinting fee.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics to jc.sm.HRresumes@justicecenter.ny.gov and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.