Office of Student Support Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Education Improvement Services.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have a Master's degree AND:
Either 1. Four years of professional experience in an education agency or organization working with elementary, middle or secondary schools in the provision of technical assistance or in the development or implementation of educational programs or educational grants;
Or 2. Possess a New York State permanent or professional certification in classroom teaching, administration and supervision, or school service AND four years of professional experience in a public school teaching common branch subjects in grades Pre-Kindergarten to 6 or teaching academic subjects (English, a language other than English, mathematics, science or social studies) in grades 7-12; OR four years of professional experience working with students in the areas of early childhood and parent education, guidance counseling, school social work, or attendance improvement/dropout prevention.
Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Education Improvement Services when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
• A Master’s degree in Counseling or School Counseling AND New York State certification as a school counselor, PLUS three to five years of professional experience working with students in the areas of guidance counseling or attendance improvement/dropout prevention.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Education Improvement Services position in the Office of Student Support Services. This Office promotes school improvement by focusing on social and emotional learning, mental health services, and supports through programs and activities related to Student-Centered Support Services, School and Student Health, Expanded Learning Opportunities, Safe Schools and Alternative Education. The incumbent of this position will focus on the implementation of a whole school, whole child, whole community (WSCC) framework in schools and districts by providing technical assistance, program support, and review. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Support school districts in developing local capacity to meet the mental health needs of students, family members, and personnel;
• Provide written, on-site, and/or verbal technical assistance to schools, local educational agencies, other public or private agencies, professional groups, or parents, as requested;
• Develop, coordinate, and/or facilitate meetings, conferences, webinars, or workshops to support program initiatives;
• Serve in a lead position to the Student-Centered Support Services Advisory group;
• Complete reports, guidance documents, and site-visit reports within a designated timeframe;
• Research current educational practices, policies, statutes, regulations, and standards;
• Serve on committees to support or advance NYSED initiatives related to the development of NYSED’s WSCC framework;
• Assist in writing and reviewing regulations, Regents items, policies, and procedures regarding student-centered supports;
• Collaborate with NYSED’s Information and Reporting Services (IRS) office regarding data collection systems; and
• Perform special assignments as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Education Improvement Services when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $114,393 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by August 19, 2022 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-948/65005) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by August 19, 2022 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-948/65005) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.